Cream substitute

(4 Posts)
mummybear701 Sat 01-Oct-16 23:58:37

There is a meeting in the church on Wednesday and as a modest baker I thought of providing some of my devon splits or victoria sponges for nibbles with the tea. Problem is being very food hygiene aware I know cream as used in these bakes with the jam should not be out the fridge before eating for that length of time. I could leave it altogether and just use jam but thats not as good. For the devons I tend to use clotted cream out Tesco, and for the Victoria I whisk butter with icing sugar.
Any ideas?

VioletBam Sun 02-Oct-16 06:21:06

I would think about taking a tub of thick cream on ice...or in a cool bag. So it can be still cold when offered.

Chottie Sun 02-Oct-16 06:43:09

Could you just take cakes that don't need cream in them? i.e. Victoria sponge with just jam inside and icing on top? If you are concerned the cake might be a bit ordinary, why not just slice each sponge half horizontally and sandwich with jam too?

I wouldn't eat any cream cakes at a church social for the very reasons you are saying.

KP86 Sun 02-Oct-16 06:48:59

Make a buttercream icing and use that as a cream substitute in the middle of the Vic sponge and then plain icing sugar on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now