Chocolate cake that actually tastes of chocolate

(16 Posts)
glowfrog Wed 21-Sep-16 21:38:34

Hello all

I am looking for a chocolate cake recipe that produced a cake that actually tastes of chocolate! Maybe it's just me but the only recipe that's ever yielded me a properly chocolatey cake is a Nigella Lawson loaf-shaped one that's very moist and "collapsed" but it's not ideal for birthday cakes. I've tried Dan Lepard's chocolate sponge recipe as well and found it disappointing.

Any pointers greatly appreciated! Am I using the wrong chocolate or cocoa powder??

lozengeoflove Wed 21-Sep-16 21:43:49

I'd say use high quality chocolate, and at least 70% cocoa solids. Primrose Bakery book has an excellent chocolate cake recipe. Always a winner in our house. cake

glowfrog Wed 21-Sep-16 21:46:09

Cheers, I'll look it up.

Ladyface Wed 21-Sep-16 21:49:25

I just opened up this thread to recommend the same book and recipe! I always use a mixture of dark and milk 70% cocoa as well.

HermioneWeasley Wed 21-Sep-16 21:50:35

BBC good food ultimate chocolate cake

tigerdog Wed 21-Sep-16 21:50:57

Hummingbird bakery does a good chocolate cake, I do the cupcake version and it is a decent chocolate sponge. Would need a good chocolate ganache/frosting to cover it for a proper chocolate hit.

I also love Jamie Oliver's flourless chocolate cake for a really rich chocolate cake, but probably too dense and dessert-like for a birthday cake.

Ladyface Wed 21-Sep-16 21:51:36

Betty Crocker chocoate brownies never let me down either grinwink

panad317 Wed 21-Sep-16 21:51:49

The bourneville cocoa powder is the best IMO.

karalime Wed 21-Sep-16 21:56:03

I made Nigella Lawsons chocolate fudge cake twice. I can't tell you how chocolatey it tastes because there is never any left of the bloody thing! 10/10 would recommend.

CheekyMcgee Wed 21-Sep-16 21:57:32

Ive made nigella chocolate fudge cake too and it was amazing!

Backingvocals Wed 21-Sep-16 22:08:05

This one is from a brilliant series in the Guardian where the writer tested all the different recipes for a classic dish and then came up with the best out of all of them. This was the chocolate cake one - the challenge being a chocolate cake that is chocolatey. www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/nov/21/how-to-cook-the-perfect-chocolate-cake
It's perfect.

daisydalrymple Wed 21-Sep-16 22:20:34

I've tried different brands, but also find cadburys bournville cocoa powder the best, as pp says above. But for a chocolate cake to taste really chocolatey I think it needs cocoa powder AND melted chocolate in it, def 70% Lindt / G&B etc.

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Wed 21-Sep-16 22:42:17

I'd also suggest using melted chocolate instead of cocoa powder. I make one which I found on a wedding site which also has some coffee and some sour cream in it for a bit of depth and tang.

I then cover it with chocolate ganache made with half milk and half plain chocolate melted into 1/3 the quantity of cream.

However, a friend of mine who makes amazing cakes to sell says that she always gets loads of compliments on her chocolate cake... and she uses a Betty Crocker cake mix!

taybert Sat 24-Sep-16 14:01:44

I just came in here to ask a similar question- are any of these recipes sturdy enough to make a fondant iced birthday cake instead of a Madeira?

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sat 24-Sep-16 23:18:14

THIS is the recipe I mentioned - it is sturdy and rich, a bit like a brownie so ideal for making into shapes and icing with fondant etc.

taybert Sun 25-Sep-16 04:13:35

Thanks! That looks perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now