Banana bread with plain flour and no baking powder

(4 Posts)
MagnumAddict Wed 24-Aug-16 15:49:35

Can it be done wise mumsnetters?

I have three lovely overripe bananas going but all recipes seem to require self raising flour and or baking powder.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to see these bananas go to waste!

FawnDrench Wed 24-Aug-16 18:52:24

Here's an American recipeI found on Google, so you could anglicise it somehow, but it uses just plain flour -

Simple banana loaf
Slightly adapted from the "Best Answer" found here

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups flour
3 very ripe bananas mashed
2 eggs
1 cup of sugar 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup softened butter

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mash bananas with a fork. Combine with softened butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Add in beaten eggs and mix well.

In a large mixing bowl add flour and make a well in the center. Fold in banana mixture and stir until combined. Will still be lumpy.

Grease a 9x5" loaf pan with butter and pour in batter. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. (I checked it around 50 minutes but it needed the extra ten minutes).

Allow it to cool and enjoy! And remember, this is a very dense bread without baking soda, but we still enjoyed every bite smile

MagnumAddict Wed 24-Aug-16 21:01:08

Thank-you so much!! Really appreciate it.

I'll make this tomorrow and come back with a verdict smile

Mycraneisfixed Wed 24-Aug-16 21:19:21

Ooh good recipe! I love the American way of measuring with cups and use their recipes as much as possible. Buy a set of measuring cups and spoons and forget about scales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now