Which confectionary cake?

(10 Posts)
TimeforaNNChange Tue 26-Jul-16 12:16:34

I'm a traditional tea room cake baker. Vic sponges, Coffee and walnut. Flapjacks, cupcakes - they don't phase me.

But, I foolishly agreed to bake a birthday cake for a couple of colleagues whose birthday falls on the same night as a dinner/dance - not for the whole guest list, just their table/friends - it was a bit of a laugh between the lads and I got sucked in blush

Anyway, I realise that a "tea room" style cake won't cut the mustard so have been desperately looking for decoration ideas that are within my scope. I'm not up to fodant icing and loads of fancy bits, so I think a confectionary cake will fit the bill but are they more difficult than they look?

Im baking a square chocolate sponge sandwich and coat it in choc buttercream and then either stick malteasers in rows round the sides and cover the top in crumbled Flakes, or kitkat fingers up the sides and malteasers on the top.

The cakes with rows of malteasers round the sides look really good, so I'd prefer to do that, but are they hard to do?

Help!

KatoPotato Tue 26-Jul-16 12:19:49

I did this for my DS 4th birthday which was insanely easy:

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Jul-16 12:20:45

They're dead easy if you have a good thick layer of buttercream. It's a good idea to keep the cake somewhere cool so the malteasers don't slide off.

Teacupinastorm Tue 26-Jul-16 12:21:46

I made this for a friends birthday. Very easy. 3 layers of choc cake, covered in buttercream and then decorated with fingers, smarties and malteasers. It's also a piñata cake so the middle is filled with smarties and malteasers too, but would be just as nice without!

KP86 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:23:11

Those kinds of cakes are very easy yet look spectacular.

I personally find the kit Kat/finger sides easier because you aren't stressed about getting everything in a perfect line, but the maltesers one would also be easy enough if you start from the bottom and work your way up. Test how many levels of maltesers you'll need so you can trim the top to be even if required.

Kit Kat cakes look fab with smarties or other coloured sweeties piled into the middle.

TimeforaNNChange Tue 26-Jul-16 12:34:29

Teacup I love that - the smarties will work well and I could probably stretch to a piñata cake, too!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, all - off to have some fun later!

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Jul-16 13:29:20

Don't forget to post pictures!

TimeforaNNChange Tue 26-Jul-16 19:15:38

Whoohoo - I did three! Two small round ones for DD as well as the big square one, with choc fingers and coconut snow fingers round the edge, smarties, mini choc Orange slices, malteasers, crumbled flake - I had great fun!

Thank you all - I'd never have had the confidence without your support!

Teacupinastorm Tue 26-Jul-16 19:33:50

They look great! Well done!

KP86 Tue 26-Jul-16 23:24:32

Mmmmm!

<tries not to think about how many SW syns are in each one>

Well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now