gravity defying icing - help!

(6 Posts)
Playduh Tue 31-May-16 07:47:07

I am trying to decorate a cake round the sides with minstrels. I don't want them sliding off, which is what is happening with my buttercream icing. Admittedly it's been quite hot the last few days, so the icing melted a bit - cue minstrel puddle.

What icing should I be using?

TIA

Lweji Tue 31-May-16 07:51:32

You need more sugar on it or proper butter.
Failing that, a different icing without butter. Or just take it out of the fridge at night.

YorkieDorkie Tue 31-May-16 08:03:25

Much more sugar in your buttercream but personally I would make a ganache. You need to spread the ganache on when it's nice and malleable and it will continue to set regardless of temperature (if the quantities are correct!).
When using a ganache you need a thin layer of apricot jam (heated in a pan). Leave that to cool and apply the ganache. Good luck!

Playduh Tue 31-May-16 09:02:24

Ooh, ganache sounds good. I ideally want something that'll take out a tooth grin

Can you point me in the direction of a reliable recipe?

Thankyou!

EustachianTube Tue 31-May-16 09:07:18

Ganache ratio chocolate to cream depends on what chocolate you are using - 1:1 with dark chocolate, 2:1 with milk choc and 3:1 with white.
Heat the cream until almost boiling then pour over the broken up chocolate. Leave a couple of minutes then stir well until it's smooth. It takes a few hours to cool enough to use, wait until it's peanut butter like consistency. I've never used jam under ganache, just slap it straight on.

Playduh Tue 31-May-16 11:11:24

Thank you thank you! Test kitchen this afternoon. Will try eat a few different versions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now