Crackle glaze for Lemon Drizzle cake

(14 Posts)
TheSkiingGardener Fri 29-Apr-16 23:01:01

I need to make a friends birthday cake and I know her favourite is Lemon Drizzle with a crackle glaze. I can make a cracker of a drizzle cake but the crackle glaze is eluding me. I want a translucent layer that breaks as you cut into it.

Any hints much appreciated.

barleysugar Fri 29-Apr-16 23:05:13

Have you tried making a thin icing sugar and lemon juice glacé paste and putting it on the cake while it's still hot?

TheSkiingGardener Sat 30-Apr-16 06:01:55

I've done icing sugar and lemon juice before but it's all soaked in. I guess it needs to be thicker, but how thick?

Costacoffeeplease Sat 30-Apr-16 06:39:59

This is the quantities I use for the syrup and the glaze

For the syrup:

juice of 1 and a half lemons
100g icing sugar

For the glaze:

juice of 1/2 a lemon
150g icing sugar

TrafficJunkie Sat 30-Apr-16 06:43:44

I mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (juice of whole lemon) with an unknown quantity of icing sugar. Lots is all I can say. Probably at least 200g. But it's always a guess. Then I heat them up in a pan until it bubbles and pour it straight over the cooled cake. Makes a nice crunchy - crispy topping.

Scootergrrrl Sat 30-Apr-16 06:46:05

I mix lemon juice and icing sugar, then add in some granulated sugar and poke holes in the cake with a skewer so the thinner mix soaks in and then the granulated sugar makes a crispy, crackly top. What's not to like about extra sugar? grin

TheSkiingGardener Sat 30-Apr-16 22:02:44

That sounds interesting Trafficjunkie. I have t tried that before. The BBC good food recipe shows a picture of the glaze I want but that doesn't work out like that when I do it. I'm after this:

TrafficJunkie Sun 01-May-16 01:52:18

Yeah that's what mine looks like when it has dried. Give it a try! Worse thing is it doesn't set but it's almost a guarantee 😊

ppandj Sun 01-May-16 19:17:39

I use that GoodFood recipe for the sponge, but always use caster sugar for the drizzle. It seemed counter-intuitive to me but is does go crackly.

TheSkiingGardener Sun 01-May-16 19:36:39

Muuuuch better! Thank you! It turned out like this, I think a little more lemon juice and a thinner pour and it will be perfect. It's got that crackle to it.

acatcalledjohn Fri 06-May-16 12:42:45

I tried this today but bubbled it for a little too long. I now have sticky lime jelly on a tray bake grin

TrafficJunkie Fri 06-May-16 22:15:22

acatcalledjohn oh dear!! Only bubble until it's hot 😂

acatcalledjohn Sat 07-May-16 18:52:18

Ooh, no, spoke to soon. I iced it, gave it to DP for work (I iced it about 20 mins before he left the house), but after a while longer it did set as a crackle! Success!

TrafficJunkie Sun 08-May-16 00:07:50

Yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now