Twirlywoo cake?

(4 Posts)
Insertwitticismhere Wed 24-Feb-16 10:29:05

My dd turns 1 in March. Dsil is hosting a party for her (all the family bar us live in the same town 2hr away so makes sense to have it there). I want to at least make the cake but my artistic abilities are approx nil. I'm going to do a baby friendly (banana & apple juice) cake in a number 1 tin for dd to actually eat but need to make a cake for the adults. Have had a look on Pinterest but the examples are either well beyond my capabilities or the stuff of nightmares. My MiL says if I "can't manage" she's happy to step in - argh!

Any ideas you talented lot?

WittgensteinsBunny Tue 01-Mar-16 15:08:51

For my DDs 1st birthday I made a large and simple sponge cake, covered in buttercream icing with berries around the edge and put a plastic model of RaaRaa on top with some bunting made of skewers, butchers string and card on top. I got lots of compliments and it wasn't too labour intensive. I've actually been thinking about doing the same for DD2s birthday but with twirly-woos & peek-a-boo on top. I'll see if I can dig out a photo of DD1s for you...

Insertwitticismhere Tue 01-Mar-16 15:38:32

Sounds amazing! Am off to google for small Twiryloo figurines... smile

UsainWho Tue 01-Mar-16 15:49:21

The best cakes are ones decorated easily - plastic figurines, printed icing sheets (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YOUR-OWN-PERSONALISED-PHOTO-Edible-Icing-Cake-Topper-A4-), sweeties/chocolate items. Basically, not really cake decorating!

I don't think you need to make a special cake for your dd by the way, the eating of sponge cake on your 1st birthday is surely a right of passage??!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now