My little pony birthday cake

(14 Posts)
Kobrakid Tue 23-Feb-16 16:39:16

Dds 3rd birthday is still a couple of months away but I always need time to plan and practice so I'm starting now. I'm not bad at cake making and decorating but definitely a home baker and nowhere near as good as people on here. Dd loves my little pony so thought a tall round cake with rainbow coloured sponges and then icing the sides rainbow coloured with buttercream. I usually use fondant, which I'm crappy at, so need some help with buttercream techniques if anyone can help please?

PersisFord Tue 23-Feb-16 16:46:54

What about this?

PersisFord Tue 23-Feb-16 16:47:26

(Disclaimer: I love this channel, I love MLP and I love cake!)

Kobrakid Tue 23-Feb-16 16:51:55

This is more the sort of thing I was leaning towards, but I do love that cake. Dd wouldn't eat the sweets on it though, she's not massively into sweets and chocolate but would do anything for a slice of cake!

PersisFord Tue 23-Feb-16 16:56:45

Looks lovely! I've never ever decorated a cake so can't help but i couldn't resist an opportunity to watch that video!

icklekid Tue 23-Feb-16 17:00:21

Some nice ideas here
pin.it/rpWuCdJ

Love the sprinkles on this one pin.it/Lq96B4c

I know it's not butter icing but very effective rainbow idea pin.it/XukOS8g

Kobrakid Tue 23-Feb-16 17:59:56

I'm not set on butter icing but it's easier to do than fondant for me. Thanks for all the links I've got loads of ideas now.

coffeeandchoc Tue 23-Feb-16 20:12:25

thecakeblog.com/2013/07/diy-rainbow-petal-cake.html
Here is a blog about decorating a cake in rainbow buttercream

Kobrakid Wed 24-Feb-16 10:02:36

That blog is pretty much what I wanted thank you so much!smile

ijustwannadance Wed 24-Feb-16 10:11:27

Use an actual mlp for decoration rather than try to make one from icing. She can keep it afterwads too.

PutDownThatLaptop Wed 24-Feb-16 10:15:55

I made a My Little Pony cake for my daughter but really took the cheat's way out. I made a cake, iced it in white, topped it with a personalised printed My Little Pony topper from Ebay, then bought an actual My Little Pony toy to sit on top of it, so she had one to keep. I surrounded it with little cupcakes and used edible My Little Pony cake toppers made out of rice paper (Ebay again.)

LBOCS2 Wed 24-Feb-16 10:17:08

You can get sets of small MLP on eBay to stick all over it.

This is the one I made for DD's 3rd birthday - it was a labour of love (and not perfect by any stretch of the imagination; as always I ran out of time and ended up winging it!) but she was suitably impressed. I filled the inside with skittles which came out when you cut it.

LBOCS2 Wed 24-Feb-16 10:18:50

But the rice paper/printed icing toppers are also fantastic (and also, a great way of tarting up a shop bought cake if you do run out of time!).

Kobrakid Wed 24-Feb-16 10:24:47

Thought tall round cake with rainbow buttercream on sides, fondant disk on top with a proper mlp toy and maybe a rainbow or some other 3d type decoration. Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now