Cake size, can anyone help?

(4 Posts)
coffeeandchoc Sun 21-Feb-16 18:33:30

I have a recipe for an 8 inch round tin, but I want to make a 8 inch square cake and a 6 inch square cake. All the information I can find says to adjust the tin size by going down an inch from circle to square tins. But I can't work out how to adjust the recipe quantities to suit the tins I want to use. Does that make sense?

My only thought was divide the ingredients by 8 then times it by 9 to up the tin size to 9 inch round quantity? Would that work?

Can anyone help me please?

bilbodog Sun 21-Feb-16 20:27:26

Maths not my strong point and what you suggest sounds too complicated to me!! I would just double the amount of mixture - worst case is that your cakes are a little deeper than normal.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 22-Feb-16 11:49:28

8 inch round tin is 50 sq inches. 8 inch square tin is 64 sq inches and a 6" square tin is 36 sq inches. 36 + 64 = 100 which happens to be twice 50. Therefore, double your recipe quantity. As for timings, the 6" Square cake will be cooked more quickly than the 8" Round, and the 8" Square will be much the same as the 8" Round as the middle is still the same distance from the side of the pan. It might conceivably take a little longer, but not much. Test and see.

coffeeandchoc Mon 22-Feb-16 19:17:10

Thank you for your help. I wouldn't have worked that out on my own 🎂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now