Gluten free Madeira cake

(5 Posts)
taybert Wed 03-Jun-15 08:41:20

I'm making my son's christening cake. My FIL is Coeliac and I'm just wondering about making the cake gluten free so he can have some (in the past for similar things we've just had a separate smaller one). I've made a GF Victoria sponge before with Dove's Farm flour blend and the flavour was lovely but it was quite delicate. I was wondering if anyone had done this with a Madeira cake?

I was going to make a 10in cake, split it and fill with jam or lemon curd then crumb coat with buttercream before fondant icing. I'm no expert so I'll probably be handling it a bit to get it right so it needs to be reasonably robust.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

PandasRock Wed 03-Jun-15 08:47:59

Doves farm have a recipe section on their website. There is a Madeira loaf recipe which I have scaled up and used before. I usually omit the ground almonds (nut issues) and also make it dairy free. It makes a fabulous cake, which I have made several times with great success

PandasRock Wed 03-Jun-15 08:49:36

Oh, and it's quite firm and ok with reasonable handling (I've made all sorts of shapes and sizes and iced/chopped about etc)

taybert Wed 03-Jun-15 08:55:32

Thanks PandasRock. Is it fairly sturdy? I'm just picturing it turning in to a pile of crumbs when I try to ice it.

taybert Wed 03-Jun-15 08:56:05

Oops, crosspost, question answered! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now