Help! I'm making a christening cake��

(10 Posts)
Lesley107 Tue 21-Apr-15 10:48:00

Can I get some help please, I've been asked to make my cousins christening cake (she wants quite a simple 2 tier) but I need some help as only ever made cakes for my kids and mums 70th. Firstly
1) not used dowels before but heard I should for support? If I need these what's the best website to purchase them from (plus any other bits I'll need)!
2) what size would you recommend 12" & 6" or 9"
3) lastly what's best receive? I usually use Madeira but heard a Victoria sponge is better?...any receives & help grately appreciated!! Xxhmm

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 21-Apr-15 12:23:45

I would go for Madeira. It will be much better at supporting the weight of the upper tier but, more importantly, will keep better which can be an issue if you are going to take your time over elaborate decoration.

Website, try Squires Kitchen

Lesley107 Tue 21-Apr-15 14:09:58

Thank you. Yes I usually use Madeira but someone said use Victoria sandwich but put in extra flour so wondered if anyone else had tried this?
I'm really confused about the dowels though so think I'm going to have to YouTube this one! Also need to look for the stencil of baby shoes that I saw as this looked the easier option! Could never do this for a living!!confused

CrystalCove Fri 24-Apr-15 21:57:56

I use the BBC easy vanilla cake recipe for all my cakes, including my 2 and 3 tier cakes, Victoria sponge I wouldn't recomend as it will be too light. I buy dowels off EBay but tbh I don't dowel my 2 tiers (never had any collapse on me yet) and they're fine but I definetely do with my 3 tiers!

Lesley107 Sat 25-Apr-15 00:17:00

Thank you! I will definitely check the receipe out. I went to my local cake suppliers today and spent £70 on a cake I'm not even getting paid for!!!!shock but this did include buying a 12" tin!! Expensive stuff this 'cake hobbie"

Baker47 Sat 25-Apr-15 16:36:00

Hi lesley, sorry only just seen this so prob too late to help with your Qs, but really hope it goes well! It's amazing how much you can spend on decorating bits isn't it?! Hopefully all good fun though.
Will you post a pic when it's done? Would love to see it!

gregcal Tue 28-Apr-15 19:18:44

I have just made my son's wedding cake. Like you I have only made childrens birthday cakes etc. I found this great site. Cakes bakes and cookies. Basically the cake recipie is for a maderia. But you are given the quantities for different sizes of cakes. I found this an excellent site with very useful advice and easy to follow recipes.

gregcal Tue 28-Apr-15 19:29:28

Check out website. Cakes bakes and cookies. I have just made my son's wedding cake. Like you I have only made kids birthday cakes. The basic recipie was for a maderia cake. I made a three tier and there is a chart showing you the quantities needed for the different sizes of cakes. It was very easy to follow and the cakes turned out well. I made a lemon, vanilla and chocolate. I bought the tins on line and they cost £8.99. A cake turntable for decorating and dowling. Including the ingredients the total cost is much much cheaper than what I was quoted by the professionals.

Lesley107 Wed 29-Apr-15 07:26:18

Thank you!! I will look at the website for sure! Well the 12" Madeira caked has come out brilliantly!smileand now wrapped and stored and tonight I'm doing the lemon and making up the buttercream (for both) so hopefully ready for decorating. I made the baby shoes and bow on Saturday so all the fiddly bits are done and I'm really pleased..so far!...just got to bring it altogether now!!! Eek! I'll post a pic when finished. The christening is this Sunday btw xx

Lesley107 Mon 04-May-15 08:41:48

As promised...finished result! My cousin loved and & more importantly all the guests said it tasted amazing!! Phew!!! Thank you for all the advice xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now