Can I leave cake mix overnight?

(13 Posts)
badbadleroybrown Thu 28-Aug-14 17:06:45

Hello all.

My OH birthday is Saturday. Busy tonight, work tomorrow and plans tomorrow night. If I make cake mix tonight can I let is stand overnight and bake it quickly tomorrow morning? Just basic Victoria Sponge mix.

Thanks smile

Redtartanshoes Thu 28-Aug-14 17:07:11

I wouldn't.

Sorry

I wouldn't either. It probably won't rise. Bake it today, wrap it in cling film while it's just ever so slightly warm and it should stay fresh.

2kidsintow Thu 28-Aug-14 17:13:44

No. All the raising agent will be activated when the wet ingredients are added and bubbles will form in the mixture. They will then probably collapse again and you will be left with a pancake rather than a cake.

You can weigh out everything tonight and just add the wet ingredients last minute tomorrow, then quickly wizz it together with a mixer and bake.

Bunbaker Thu 28-Aug-14 17:24:31

No. 2kids is right. Just pre-weigh the ingredients and throw them all together just before baking.

This is what I would do for a 3 egg sponge mix:

Weigh out 3 eggs and and use the egg weight for the remaining ingredients. So if three eggs weighs 180gm then use 180gm each of flour, sugar and margarine/butter.
Mix together the SR flour and sugar with 1 tsp baking powder.
Weigh out the margarine/butter and leave at room temperature.
Grease and base line with baking parchment 2 x 7" sandwich tins.

In the morning put all the ingredients in the bowl together and mix until completely combined, but don't overmix. Divide the mixture between the tins.

Bake for about 25 minutes at gas mark 4, 160 deg fan oven or 180 deg non fan oven. Cool in tins for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

badbadleroybrown Thu 28-Aug-14 17:26:59

Ok thanks everyone. That's a good compromise. Glad I asked. Nothing worst than a flat cake!! I would have been heartbroken.

Thanks again smile

badbadleroybrown Fri 29-Aug-14 10:17:45

Ironically I made it from scratch this morning and it was flat as a pancake!! Thinking I didn't combine enough hmm - will have another go tonight!

tryingtocatchthewind Fri 29-Aug-14 10:22:26

Careful as over mixing will make it flat!

EmmaGellerGreen Fri 29-Aug-14 10:25:34

Can I ask a question about weighing eggs? I think that you crack and then weigh, rather than weighing egg and shell. Is that right?

2kidsintow Fri 29-Aug-14 10:46:45

Weigh egg and shell.

I always use Mary Berry tray bake all in one recipe and scale up or down.

8 oz marg
8 oz butter
10 oz s.r flour
4 eggs
tsp or 2 of baking powder
milk

Bung in a mixer, whizz til white and fluffy. Bake. I'd halve it for a dozen cakes.

Bunbaker Fri 29-Aug-14 16:37:09

"I think that you crack and then weigh, rather than weighing egg and shell. Is that right?"

No. you weigh them in their shells. Mary Berry traybakes always work, but don't use a food processor. Use a hand mixer or a wooden spoon.

moocowmrs Fri 29-Aug-14 16:39:54

The mary berry tray bake has never ever let me down, I tweek it to change the flavours still comes out smiling !

badbadleroybrown Sat 30-Aug-14 10:14:01

Morning all! Me again. I made it just now - the Mary Berry version and it's perfect! Risen like a dream!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now