Birthday cake

(7 Posts)
Curiouslygrumpycola Thu 21-Aug-14 09:42:24

I need to make a child's birthday cake to serve around 20 people.

Does any feel like sharing their fool proof birthday cake recipe?

If it makes a difference, I need to cover it in icing as it needs to link to my dc's favourite tv show. <sigh>

I'm going to buy ready made icing as I need very bold colours and don't think I will manage it myself. Any tips for gluing or attaching?

Sorry for not being more specific, trying not to out myself!

Happy36 Thu 21-Aug-14 21:26:46

For the cake, I would say use this recipe:

pre-heat oven to 160 degrees

beat together 450g margerine and 450g white caster sugar with a wooden spoon until the mixture is pale and creamy

add 4 eggs and mix in with a metal spoon

add 500g self-raising flour, a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder and mix it all in with a metal spoon until all of the ingredients are combined

pop the mixture in a greased (or lined with baking parchment) tin and bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 25 mins., then check it by putting a metal skewer or sharp knife into the middle of the cake, it should come out clean, if it doesn´t bake for 5-10 more mins. and check again

when it´s cooked take it out of the oven and leave it to cool

for attaching the icing I would suggest brushing the cake with warmed jam, using a pastry brush - apricot jam is usually best (warm it in the microwave)

Good luck!

Happy36 Thu 21-Aug-14 21:28:18

p.s. you can turn the above cake into a chocolate one by adding 2-3 heaped teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder at the same stage as the flour.

Alternatively use a teaspoon of vanilla essence at the flour stage.

Curiouslygrumpycola Thu 21-Aug-14 21:58:30

Thank you! Was feeling very overwhelmed by the recipe choices online. Would rather trust a mumsnetter's tried and tested recipe. Will let you know how I get on. smile

Happy36 Thu 21-Aug-14 22:28:17

I hope it´s nice! It´s for kids all they really care about is the icing.

callipygian00 Mon 25-Aug-14 01:39:24

I am a massive baking fan and an unashamed to say I use Sainsbury's Value cake mix. I love it - it tastes great and never fails me. I would use 3 bags for 20 people. I use Sugarflair colour paste (get it from Ebay) to get bright results.

Curiouslygrumpycola Mon 25-Aug-14 20:59:51

Cake was very homemade looking, but a great success. Does anything beat the adoration of a toddler?

May have to remember the pre made option mix for future cakes. Making cakes raises my blood pressure grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now