cake filling that can be warmed up?

(8 Posts)
bouncinbean Wed 20-Aug-14 21:36:47

So I've made a plain sponge cake but there's only 2 (and a very small half!) of us and we usually get bored of a cake before its finished.
DH has asked for a filling that means we can warm the cake up and eat it like a pudding with ice cream or custard after we've enjoyed just having slices of cake!
My unimaginative brain has come up with just jam - but that seems a bit dull. My other 'go to' fillings of cream or buttercream I don't think would work when the cake is reheated.
I thought I'd ask if anyone here has some other good filling ideas?

Halsall Wed 20-Aug-14 21:42:08

Perhaps chocolate ganache? Mixture of melted chocolate and cream. You can leave it to set and then whip it up into a more mousse-like texture to use as filling to sandwich the cake, and enjoy it as usual. Then if you warmed the cake up later, it should semi-liquefy again like a chocolate sauce.

<drools slightly>

Artemisiawenttopisa Wed 20-Aug-14 21:44:02

Lotus biscuit spread!

bouncinbean Wed 20-Aug-14 21:53:21

Love that ganache idea! Thankyou - will purchase choc and cream tomorrow and get it done ready for lunch!

Vajazzler Wed 20-Aug-14 21:57:20

Littlefish Wed 20-Aug-14 22:01:52

Blackberries and stewed apple (with sugar) - cook them with no water at all, and remove as much liquid as possible before spreading it between the layers of cake.

bouncinbean Wed 20-Aug-14 22:04:59

oh god vajazzler that's even easier - sold! And any that doesn't go in the cake can be eaten by me wink (Never had lotus spread or a lotus biscuit so not too keen on that idea!)
Littlefish - that sounds lovely but the temptation of chocolate is too strong...

Vajazzler Fri 22-Aug-14 20:14:36

grin glad to be of service!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now