Ideas for this icing please

(10 Posts)
TheMouseBitesBack Wed 20-Aug-14 21:27:58

Hi. DS wants a game of thrones cake for his birthday.

Any ideas how I can do the blood effect? A further link suggests red icing garnish, but can't find a recipe for this when googling. I did think about glace icing, but don't think it would look right or red enough.

MrsWinnibago Thu 21-Aug-14 00:09:13

I would pour something over it right before serving. Red sauce like they put on icecreams? Just dump it over the top. It will be "live" and dripping when brought in.

Tinkerball Thu 21-Aug-14 22:02:53

I know exactly what to use as I made a cake recently with edible "blood" that I dripped over it when assembled. It was a mix of corn syrup, red liquid (not paste) food colouring and cocoa powder- it was fab and so realistic! Can't remember the exact quantities, will try and find.

stealthsquiggle Thu 21-Aug-14 22:04:58

If you want it to look wet, you need gel stuff whose proper name I have temporarily forgotten but will look up and post.

stealthsquiggle Thu 21-Aug-14 22:06:44

Piping gel. That's the one.

Tinkerball Thu 21-Aug-14 22:16:46

This was my cake

Tinkerball Thu 21-Aug-14 22:21:33

Recipe was very similar to this:

INGREDIENTS
½ cup light corn syrup
2-3 drops red gel color
1½ Tbsp cocoa powder
1½ Tbsp corn starch
INSTRUCTIONS
In a small bowl combine corn syrup, red coloring, cocoa powder and corn starch. Stir together until all ingredients are well mixed, adjusting the color with more red color or cocoa powder as needed. If desired, add more cornstarch to create a thicker consistency.

Corn syrup is American, got it off Ebay.

TheMouseBitesBack Sat 23-Aug-14 10:21:42

Fantastic looking cake tinker. Thanks for the recipe.

Don't have time to send away for corn syrup, but will check if our cake shop sells it. Otherwise I'll try the piping gel.

Thank you

Tinkerball Sat 23-Aug-14 13:08:21

I think you can use golden syrup if you cant get corn syrup themouse, which is golden obviously, corn syrup is clear. Good luck, we loved dripping it down...in real life it looked very realistic!

TheMouseBitesBack Sun 24-Aug-14 21:51:32

Ended up using Glucose Jelly for the blood. In hindsight I probably went a bit overboard with it, but DS liked it anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now