a kind of modelling paste that smooths over details on complex cake designs??Not rolled fondant.

(5 Posts)
fabulousmrbeagle Mon 18-Aug-14 12:48:12

What can I use to cover a castle cake? Rolled fondant isn't going to work for this design because it is very detailed. I want some kind of paste that gives a smooth finish over all the details and which I can work into all the knooks and crannies, and which I can then paint over (with edible colouring). I've seen this done on youtube by a professional cake makers but it doesn't say what the material is they are using, it looks a bit like modelling clay and has a paste consistency.

I have an art background but this is the first time I've worked in cake before!

Any advice is welcome!

RockinHippy Mon 18-Aug-14 12:57:56

Could it be sugar paste ??

this is a bit easier to handle than fondant & used to make details such as flowers, people etc - not sure I would personally use it to cover a whole cake, but then it depends on what you have in mind I suppose

Tinkerball Tue 19-Aug-14 22:04:29

I thought sugar paste and fondant were the same thing confused

RockinHippy Tue 19-Aug-14 22:56:03

It is blush note to self check more thoroughly when posting with migraine eyes

I meant floral paste, which tends to be used for modelling flowers & finer designs, it's easier to handle for detail & sets quickly

or there's the sugar dough modelling paste, which is easy to handle but stays a bit softer - you use that for chunkier pieces such as figures, so I doubt that's what you need

RockinHippy Tue 19-Aug-14 23:01:23

Im rereading what you want to do with it, & it does sound as if it is sugar paste/fondant that you need - the block stuff you roll out yourself though, nit the ready rolled - I use that on shaped cakes & with a bit of something clear & sticky to hold it, such as apricot jam, honey etc - it pushes into nooks & crannies just fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now