Anyone from the Commonwealth (but not the UK) happy to share a cake recipe with me please?

(28 Posts)
SirChenjin Sun 17-Aug-14 20:51:03

Baking Club this week, and I need to bake something from one of the Commonwealth countries to celebrate the recent games through in weegieland.

I really need inspiration - looking for something sweet, something that looks good, and something that I bake (as opposed to fry/chill/etc). Had a look online and through my cookbooks and am stuck for ideas....anyone got any please please please?

smile

joanofarchitrave Sun 17-Aug-14 20:52:45

sorry am in uk, but i would do a pavlova smile

TheSarcasticFringehead Sun 17-Aug-14 20:58:41

Toto coconut cake?

SirChenjin Sun 17-Aug-14 21:27:50

Thanks both.

Have already done a pavlova for one of the previous club meetings, but will have a look at the Toto cake smile

I am actually in the UK, but my wife is an Aussie, as is a Lammington (recipe below):
Lamingtons
Basic Butter Cake
4oz butter or margarine
¾ cup castor Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
2 cups SR Flour
Pinch of salt
½ cup milk

Cream shortening and sugar with vanilla until mixture is white, light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the slightly beaten eggs. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each. Sift flour and salt 3 times and then fold into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. When mixture is smooth, pour into a greased 11 x 7inch lamington tin and bake for 30-35 minutes in a moderate oven 350F until cooked. Cool on wire rack and cut into small oblong shapes. Dip each in Thin Chocolate Icing and immediately roll in desiccated coconut. Leave on rack to set. Cook lamington mixture a day before required. The cakes will then not crumble when iced.

Thin Chocolate Icing: Sift 1lb icing sugar and 3 tablespoons cocoa into a basin. Add 4 tablespoons boiling water, ½ teaspoon butter and a few drops vanilla and stir until smooth and shiny. If icing sets, stand bowl in hot water until icing thins down

Onykahonie Mon 18-Aug-14 14:14:26

Lamingtons?

Onykahonie Mon 18-Aug-14 14:15:23

Posted at the same time as 4merlyknownasSHD ...great minds eh?

nancy75 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:18:01

just came on to suggest lamingtons! I usually use this recipe i make them whenever dd's school has a bring stuff from another country day - they are always popular but messy to make

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Aug-14 14:19:22

Oh I was going to offer up Lamingtons too!
If you don't fancy those, how about Anzac biscuits?
www.taste.com.au/recipes/24550/anzac+biscuits

Purpleflamingos Mon 18-Aug-14 14:19:52

For future ref the Herman yeast cake is gorgeous and German in origin.

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 14:21:44

Wow - 10 minutes ago when I checked the 'I'm on' these weren't here, and now 4 suggestions for Lamingtons! Guess I'm making Lamingtons then - thanks all smile

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Aug-14 14:22:34

Purple - Germany isn't in the Commonwealth though...

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 14:22:34

<Whispers in case it gives away her ignorance> Is Germany in the Commonwealth?

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 14:22:56

Phew grin

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Aug-14 14:23:51

grin - if only I'd posted that just a tad quicker, eh SirChenjin? wink

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 14:25:30

grin

At least I did question it....! blush

Purpleflamingos Mon 18-Aug-14 14:49:12

Haha thumbwitch ...shows I clearly haven't been watching it very closely! Just passing glances at the TV and the rolling of eyes at 'more sport' on DH's 2 evenings home a week.

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 15:53:47

If Germany had been in the Commonwealth I suspect our combined UK medal tally would still not have been enough to win against that one country grin

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Aug-14 16:45:53

Oh I dunno, SirChenjin - we saw them off in the Olympics, they only came 6th in the table then, as opposed to our 3rd! grin

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 17:56:24

Did they?? shock I stand corrected. That shows how much attention I paid to the league tables I may have been more interested in Usain Bolt's thighs that the medals if I'm being honest

GrouchyKiwi Mon 18-Aug-14 18:00:12

Lamingtons are delicious. Was going to give you a recipe for marshmallow shortcake before I remembered that the sodding new version of the Edmonds Cook Book doesn't have it in.

What about a square? Belgium square is a Kiwi favourite (also found in biscuit form).

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 18:20:37

Is this a marshmallow shortcake recipe? That's looked absolutely amazing. Never heard of Belgium square (or any squares) - what is it?

GrouchyKiwi Mon 18-Aug-14 18:29:35

Yes, that's marshmallow shortcake, although ours has plain/vanilla marshmallow and a layer of melted chocolate on top. Because it's not decadent enough already.

This is Belgium Square/slice. The only caveat is that jelly crystals here are really weird compared with in NZ (at least, the Harley's ones are) so you might want to mix sugar with raspberry essence to sprinkle on top. Not that I've tried that, mind you. grin

Essexgirlupnorth Mon 18-Aug-14 18:35:06

ABC cake my Australian colleagues used to make it all the time basically Apple, banana and carrot cake (or whatever fruit they had). Don't have a recipe thought but google will be your friend

Or Anzac biscuits

Frontier Mon 18-Aug-14 18:41:33

I had to do this for my Commonwealth badge in Brownies.

I made Bara Brith (from Wales so I know, outside the brief!). Can't tell you how many times knowing that Bara Brith is from Wales and what it is has earned me a point in a pub quiz grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now