4 egg Madeira cake recipe

(7 Posts)
Scraggyspanner Sun 17-Aug-14 13:22:29

Hello all,

I've hired a number one shape cake tin for my son's birthday. The shop said I would need a 4 egg Madeira cake recipe, does anyone have one so I don't have to purchase the £4 recipe card they had on offer please!

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Aug-14 13:27:22

There's one on money saving expert I look up every year for DS's birthday. I need it soon, I'll look now.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Aug-14 13:38:57

Can't find it!!!

I guess I'll use something like this and increase all the ingredients by a quarter and cooking time by about 20 min.

The recipe in BRS's link is the one I would use, the 4 egg version (4 medium eggs of course) and use it as it is. Do not scale up if the shop said use a 4 egg mix, because that is what you already have for the second version (7" Sq or 8" Rd). I would think, however, that you should REDUCE the cooking time, rather than increase it. The Number 1 you have hired is, by virtue of the shape, long and narrow. This means that the middle of the cake is going to be quite close to the sides of the pan --- the source of heat. It will cook through to the middle quicker than in a round or square cake pan. I would check it at 30-35 minutes and gauge it from there. Being a Madeira cake, it is much more robust than a Victoria Sponge and will not plunge earthwards if you open the oven door at that stage for a quick plunge in with a skewer. You will probably find that it is cooked at about 45 minutes.

Scraggyspanner Mon 18-Aug-14 11:14:40

Thank you both so much.

I was somewhere about wrapping baking paper around the tin to ensure the sides don't cook quicker than the middle which sounds like an even better idea given the shape of the tin.

Thanks again.

Actually, as the tin is so narrow, the heat will get in quite quickly, so you shouldn't have anything like the problem you would have with a larger, conventional cake design. Wrapping should not be necessary.

Scraggyspanner Tue 19-Aug-14 14:48:55

Brilliant, thanks so much 4merly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now