Would anyone bare their cake fails?

(11 Posts)
msrisotto Wed 13-Aug-14 21:06:04

I love the thread for us to show off the creations we're proud of, but I know i've had epic fails along the way! Will anyone else dare to bare theirs?

msrisotto Wed 13-Aug-14 21:07:38

That was meant to be BBC Good Food's Ultimate Chocolate cake. The cake fell apart and the ganache was runny. Understandably, I didn't bother decorating it further....

How did it taste though? I can't remember making a cake we didn't eat if it had issues! Main meals is another story though.....

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 13-Aug-14 21:17:10

Bung it in a bowl with some ice cream, am sure it tastes delicious.

I've not got a pic but I can tell you about the time I baked 3 (THREE) Victoria sponges for a friend's baby shower, one after the other, they all fell flat. I was at 5000ft altitude and didn't realise you had to adjust the recipe. I ended up making trifle with the flat cakes and my tears of failure...

msrisotto Wed 13-Aug-14 21:31:27

It tasted fine - the cake was awesome, I wasn't such a fan of the ganache.

I ruined a batch of brownies the other day by using too small a tin and it went cooked on the outside but was almost raw on the inside. I froze the inner squares and microwaved a couple of pieces later and they were gorgeous!

Tangoandcreditcards Thu 14-Aug-14 08:36:10

Well there you go, it's not about the going wrong but the delicious reworkings... Sometimes it's worth a disaster just to eat loads of delicious trimmings/said by bits!

Tangoandcreditcards Thu 14-Aug-14 08:36:26

SQUIDGY not said by

LizzieMint Thu 14-Aug-14 08:42:30

I don't have a picture (too busy having a breakdown..) but my biggest disaster was when I had taken on too many cakes in a week. I was just getting a crumb-coated cake out of the fridge to start decorating it at 11pm - due to be collected at 9am. And i was so tired, I dropped it on the floor where it splatted into pieces.

LizzieMint Thu 14-Aug-14 08:44:03

Oh, that ultimate chocolate cake recipe I use all the time, it's gorgeous. If the cake fell apart you may have taken it out of the tin while it was still warm, you have to wait till it's stone cold. And ganache takes several hours to set so make it in advance.

PoppadomPreach Thu 14-Aug-14 08:44:40

these photos should make you feel better.

I actually cried at some of them...!

Poledra Thu 14-Aug-14 09:00:54

Well, mine wasn't so much about the cake itself as the after-care. naked the sponges for a black forest gateau for DH's birthday cake (his request). Left the cakes out on the table to cool, went out for an hour. Came back only to discover that, contrary to my expectations, our recently-acquired cats like chocolate gateau....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now