How much cake mix??

(9 Posts)
Debs75 Mon 11-Aug-14 15:22:11

I am baking a sponge birthday cake in a large shallow tin which holds 5 litres almost to the brim. I usually do a basic 2 eggs, 4oz butter, sugar and flour with vanilla. How much will I need to fill the tin?

Also I want to fill it with a raspberry white choc mousse but can't find the recipe I had seen. Anyone know an easy foolproof method?

TIA

ouryve Mon 11-Aug-14 15:23:49

5 litres?

Looks for calculator...

Debs, It would be more useful if you could give the diameter of the cake tin, and also its depth. I would generally work on one egg for each 15sq.inches of cake (about 100sq cm) if doing a Madeira mix. That would produce a cake around 2.5 - 2.75inches deep. I hope that this is helpful (5 litres up to the brim isn't very helpful as you would never fill a cake pan to the brim......too much risk of it overflowing).

ouryve Mon 11-Aug-14 15:28:55

OK, a 9 or 10" deep tin would be about the same volume, so I'd go for 5 or 6 eggs worth. You'd want the tin about 2/3 full before baking

Debs75 Mon 11-Aug-14 15:44:50

It's 12"x9"x3"

When I did the Wilton dinosaur pan I used 5 eggs and 10oz, butter, sugar, flour

12" x 9" may take a bit of cooking. Do you have something to act as a heat conductor to get the heat in to the middle of the cake? A cake cone, or a flower nail?

I think you probably need to go for a 7 egg mix (that is 7 medium eggs if in the UK, or large eggs if in the US or Australia.......different sizing).

ouryve Mon 11-Aug-14 16:11:56

That's a deep traybake size.

Mary Berry uses a 4 egg mix for a tray just over half the depth
www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/baking/lemon-drizzle-traybake

So I'd go for a 7 egg/350-400g mix. A lowish oven is a must, too - you'd get too much rise with a 180C oven and it might not cook through without burning. The 160C for that recipe is probably a safe bet and it'll probably take more like an hour to cook.

You'd possibly not get a light sponge, that thick. If you want to fill with mousse, you might be better off making 2 lots of 4cm deep mix and, if you feel up to it, might be better off with a genoese sponge mix. If you stick with victoria sponge, make it an equal quantities one and not the reinforce one in the MB recipe, as it'll be lighter and less crummy.

Debs75 Tue 12-Aug-14 09:05:19

Thanks everyone starting to feel a bit ambitious making one so large. It needs to be big to fit the printed icing on the top. Am now thinking it may be better to make two square cakes and line them up side by side.

Still need a good mousse recipe for the middle if anyone has one?

Debs75 Tue 12-Aug-14 15:44:05

Bit the bullet and made a basic vanilla sponge using 4 eggs. It turned out well, about 1.5" high so will bake another layer later. Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now