What would a kitchen aid mixer do which a cheaper one wouldn't?

(42 Posts)
GalaxyInMyPants Fri 08-Aug-14 21:23:33

Apart from look nicer?

I currently do all my cakes by hand. I can't even be bothered to get my hand mixer out the drawer apart from for egg whites.

Would a proper stand mixer change my life or would it be another unused gadget? And would a £100 one with good reviews be adequate?

Trills Fri 08-Aug-14 21:25:03

Look pretty and make you swoon.

Taffeta Fri 08-Aug-14 21:26:24

Depends on your cupboard space. You don't need cupboard space for a KitchenAid. grin

Trazzletoes Fri 08-Aug-14 21:27:03

Tbh my Kitchen Aid mixes better than anything I've ever come across in my life.

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 08-Aug-14 21:30:39

I don't really have much worktop space for one. That's what's putting me off the most! grin

TinyPawz Fri 08-Aug-14 21:31:16

I have this one and adore it

ClashCityRocker Fri 08-Aug-14 21:33:04

I have one and have used it a few times, but I wouldn't rush out to buy another if it broke.

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 08-Aug-14 21:35:09

this is the one I'd been looking at. I wouldn't feel too bad if I didnt use it a lot.

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 08-Aug-14 21:36:27

Ah, tinypawz think its the same one without the meat grinder. Is it really good?

LizzieMint Sat 09-Aug-14 21:42:29

Look pretty! I have a KA and will happily admit I chose it purely for the design and pretty colours. I bake a lot so use it very very regularly, I love it. If you want to make bread dough in it, some of the cheaper ones apparently can struggle with a heavy dough. But for cake mix I should think they'll be fine.
You can also get lots of attachments for the KA, like pasta roller, meat grinder etc. They are v. expensive though.

GalaxyInMyPants Sat 09-Aug-14 22:13:30

I'd never bother with meat grinder or pasta attachments.

Mainly for cakes. I do like the idea of doing bread in it as well. I have a bread maker and the bread tastes lovely but I'm sick of the hole in the middle from the paddle. I've tried doing bread by hand and its not light.

Mmmm. The pistachio colour KA matches my kitchen cupboards perfectly. There's a new terracotta colour one which looks nice and I'm quite drooling over the bright yellow one.

I might go and stroke them in Lakeland tomorrow.

swooosh Sat 09-Aug-14 22:16:56

Sainsburys have a really nice cream mixer on offer for I think it was £100 yesterday, it's nice and chunky too. I was with my mum who is currently lusting after a KA. She nearly purchased the Sainsburys one but then deemed it pointless as you can't get all the attachments that you can with the KA ones..sausage maker anyone?!

DramaAlpaca Sat 09-Aug-14 22:19:51

Kitchen Aids are beautiful and very strokeable. I treated myself to one in the January sales and it has pride of place in my kitchen. I love it, and it makes the best cakes, meringues and soda bread ever. The KA has a really good motor (according to DH who appreciates these things) and can cope with bread dough no problem.

I love the pistachio colour and the duck egg, but after a lot of agonising I went for the cream one as it goes with everything.

GalaxyInMyPants Sat 09-Aug-14 22:21:24

That's the problem which colour?

Current kitchen is pistachio colour but I'm thinking of getting a grey kitchen soon. I think a bright yellow one would go well with a grey kitchen but it wouldn't go as well with my current kitchen.

lettertoherms Sat 09-Aug-14 22:24:48

Nothing but they're so beautiful.

I did only break my hand mixer on a heavy dough - but only after about 20 years of use - so I wouldn't knock a good hand mixer, she was a beast in her day. If you just need to cream some butter and sugar I think it's easier to pull out the hand mixer then faff around with the kitchenaid, but if you're making bread regularly I'd rather a kitchenaid with a dough hook than anything.

Pico2 Sat 09-Aug-14 22:27:50

We have a Kenwood Chef from the 1970s. I assume that Kitchen Aids are similar and will last forever.

lettertoherms Sat 09-Aug-14 22:28:42

My kitchen is grey and light green with orange accents. They get along nicely, I think yellow would be fine too.

WilburIsSomePig Sat 09-Aug-14 22:39:15

I have the one you've linked to galaxy and I really like it. I use it for bread mostly but also cakes. I daresay it's not as good as the KA but i bake for my family, not professionally so I HVe no complaints.

WilburIsSomePig Sat 09-Aug-14 22:39:23

I have the one you've linked to galaxy and I really like it. I use it for bread mostly but also cakes. I daresay it's not as good as the KA but i bake for my family, not professionally so I HVe no complaints.

WilburIsSomePig Sat 09-Aug-14 22:39:34

GalaxyInMyPants Sat 09-Aug-14 22:41:03

Do you know I think I'm goi got get the cheap one and see how much I use it.

If I use it loads I may upgrade to a KA in the future.

WilburIsSomePig Sat 09-Aug-14 22:45:55

That's my plan too. I've only had it a couple of months so figure if I keep using it I'll upgrade jn a couple of years if i can afford it.

slithytove Sat 09-Aug-14 22:49:42

I have the Andrew james, no grinder.

It's brilliant. Massively powerful motor and great basic attachments.

Makes dough no problem.

slithytove Sat 09-Aug-14 22:50:23

Dough hook is great.

slithytove Sat 09-Aug-14 22:51:46

And mine cost more than that when I got it 2 years ago! Amazing price and is well worth what it used to cost, let alone £80

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now