Buying fondant icing online

(18 Posts)
Clutterbugsmum Tue 29-Jul-14 08:22:28

Does anyone have any on line recommendations for buying fondant icing/cake making supplies as I have no cake supplies near where I live.

Squires Kitchen are big suppliers in to the SUGARCRAFT market. I would give them a try.

Clutterbugsmum Tue 29-Jul-14 09:46:16

Thank you.

I have a look later.

EugenesAxe Tue 29-Jul-14 09:51:09

Squires have a 'super slick' fondant to buy... it's not too bad but needs some working to get smooth; it's quite crumbly to start with. I think my favourite stuff has been from a shop in Tunbridge Wells called Catering Complements. I don't think it's own brand though and my memory had gone - you could call them to ask the brand as you'd probably be able to source from an online retailer. Or they may post to you?

Molecule Tue 29-Jul-14 22:09:18

I use a company called Cake Stuff. They have lots of different makes of fondant, good prices and excellent service.

I have used cake stuff, the baker shop, cakescookiesandcrafts and others (no loyalty, me blush), but it's also worth trying out the supermarket brands - some of them are pretty good, and it's expensive (heavy) stuff to post.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 29-Jul-14 22:22:46

Squires are awful for fondant and defo not good for flower paste. I like 'a piece of cake' in Thame and their flower paste is nice too! I also second stealths choices. Ive got no loyalty either...bar the flower paste!

magicstar1 Tue 29-Jul-14 22:28:46

I've tried many different fondants, and I found the best is Cova Paste. You can get it from www cakecraftworld.co.uk

Clutterbugsmum Tue 29-Jul-14 22:38:37

Thanks Stealth, I only doing one cake.

I normally do butter icing type cakes but dd2 wants Bookworm cake so this will be my first attempt at using fondant to cover and decorate. I don't think I need much icing.

Bookworm looks fun.

I would get some sugarcel as well otherwise he might be a bit of a floppy Bookworm in this weather.

Clutterbugsmum Wed 30-Jul-14 07:55:43

Sorry what is sugarcel and what do with it.

It's a powder which you need into icing to make it set harder (and make it easier to work with - stretchier, basically). Also labelled as Gum Tragacanth substitute, it's the same stuff they use to thicken diet yoghurts and the like. It would give you a smoother and more co-operative bookworm, but it's not essential.

Need? Knead blush

LizzieMint Wed 30-Jul-14 11:03:07

If you don't need much, just get it from the supermarket - they all have their own brands, plus sell things like silver spoon icing as well. I like the waitrose own-brand the best.

I have loads of tylo powder (which is what sugarcel is - sugarcel is a brand name) I'd be happy to post you a bit, you hardly need any (less than a tsp for what you are doing) and it'd be a bit of a waste of postage for you to buy a pot of it. PM me if you like.

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 30-Jul-14 11:15:50

That would be fine in supermarket own brand.

Just make the worm a day or two in advance and let it dry in the coolest, non fridge spot in your house.

Clutterbugsmum Wed 30-Jul-14 11:30:29

Thank you for all your advice.

Unfortunately I only have a crappy Asda near me and it doesn't have a good selection of cake/baking stuff unless it's a cake in box mixture.

I don't mind buying extra as a would like to learn cake decorating anyway.

LizzieMint Wed 30-Jul-14 11:32:15

Asda own-brand fondant is pretty good, and cheaper than many online.

Clutterbugsmum Wed 30-Jul-14 12:16:42

I have look on Saturday when I next go, but when I looked a month or so ago it was all 'Betty Crocker' type things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now