Help! Have put too much flour in cake

(11 Posts)
stclair Mon 21-Jul-14 14:00:47

I am making this cake www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1276636/doublethelove-chocolate-cake (hope link worked), and on my second batch of cake have put the full 700g of flour in instead of 350g. Will it just be super dense? I don't have time to go out and source more buttermilk for a second go . . .

nannycook Wed 23-Jul-14 08:32:22

Stclair, not sure what you mean, have you made 1 cake with all the mix is that what you mean and no buttermilk?

EugenesAxe Wed 23-Jul-14 08:52:39

Well, it seems you're only dividing for practical purposes at the mixing stage as you have to bake four sandwich cakes. Did you put in half of everything else as the recipe states? If not your 700g won't matter obviously. If you have just prepare the whole quantity of all ingredients and make a fuck-off batch of mixture for all four cakes, then cling film it while you're baking the first two sandwich tins. You might lose some air and therefore lightness of the second batch, but it won't be as bad as using twice as much flour.

I HATE recipes that do this; divide the quantity in the method as I've always suffered from not being brilliant at the recipe equivalent of reading the question.

EugenesAxe Wed 23-Jul-14 08:55:07

Oh shit you see I didn't read the OP 'on my second batch'. I would have thought it would be pleasant - as you say, super dense. But I didn't check the date and I guess you've done it now.

EugenesAxe Wed 23-Jul-14 08:55:35

'Wouldn't have thought...'

nannycook Wed 23-Jul-14 17:05:27

No, what it means and its what I do for all my cakes is, do half the mixture first and bake them, then wash your tins, then mix the other half and bake.

nannycook Wed 23-Jul-14 17:08:57

The first half will be enough for the 8" and the " 6, the, then repeat it all over again. Dont whatever you do make all the mixture up in one go.

nannycook Wed 23-Jul-14 18:42:40

No, what it means and its what I do for all my cakes is, do half the mixture first and bake them, then wash your tins, then mix the other half and bake.

nannycook Wed 23-Jul-14 18:42:51

nannycook Wed 23-Jul-14 18:44:10

Sorry, don't know why theres loads of texts.

stclair Mon 28-Jul-14 23:36:37

Thanks everyone. Yes, I did 1/2 of everything on my second batch but put the full amount of flour in instead of 1/2. So, I baked it to see what it would turn out like and it was enormous, dry, and pale. But it did taste nice! I did another one as too ashamed of it to present it to anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now