Can you please share your tips for great scones?

(22 Posts)
BridgettRousselot Thu 17-Jul-14 01:06:33

My Mum makes scones like rock cakes, I want to make scones, how do you get them soft and light?

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Thu 17-Jul-14 01:31:23

You need to use milk that is slightly sour so leave it out overnight. Also roll out the dough so it's exactly the same depth as your cutter.

TheScottishPlay Thu 17-Jul-14 06:03:38

The dough will be lighter and rise better if it is wet and sticky.
At most the scones will double in size so roll the dough to approx 2.5cm thickness.

Do not twist the cutter as it seals edges and stops them rising.

If sweet scones dip top in egg and then sugar for yummy crunch.

lk26 Thu 17-Jul-14 06:14:30

I always use a carton if buttermilk which makes them light and also don't handle the dough too much and a hot oven 220 ' c preheated.

okilydokily Thu 17-Jul-14 06:23:14

I don't know if I'm allowed to put links in, but here's the recipe I use. It hasn't let me down yet! The squeeze of lemon juice acts on the milk to make it like slightly soured milk, as per the poster above. Also, I flatten the dough by hand rather than with a rolling pin. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4622/classic-scones-with-jam-and-clotted-cream

Liney15 Thu 17-Jul-14 06:26:45

I'll also recommend the BBC recipe - consistently wonderful scones. Just don't make them too thin as scones don't rise a lot.

okilydokily Thu 17-Jul-14 06:38:04

Right - that's it - I'm going to have to make scones now! All this talk of scones.

Nothing better than a cup of tea with a freshly baked scone (and vast quantities of butter and jam). Yum!

mrsseed Thu 17-Jul-14 08:05:22

Don't mix too much, just kind Of compress the batter together. Certainly don't knead it.

Pipbin Thu 17-Jul-14 22:55:24

I use a quarter fat to flour.
Don't over handle.

gamescompendium Thu 17-Jul-14 22:57:04

Cold hands and don't handle the dough too much or for too long.

CarlyRichards Thu 17-Jul-14 22:57:34

Paul Hollywoods scone recipe is fab and always works.

notnowImreading Thu 17-Jul-14 23:00:15

Tsp of cream of tartar.

Blueuggboots Thu 17-Jul-14 23:03:09

Nigella lawson's scone recipe in "domestic goddess" and I second the top about not twisting the cutter.

thedicewoman Thu 17-Jul-14 23:03:37

"00" flour and buttermilk...

Happy36 Thu 17-Jul-14 23:04:56

I use semi skimmed milk, 2 tbsps melted butter per 10 scones and plain flour, caster sugar plus a pinch of baking powder and a pinch of salt. I mix the whole lot with a knife.

I don't like scones but I have had great feedback on these (in the U.K. where people know their scones!)

I got the original recipe from a Bill Grainger book which I no longer have so can't remember how.much I tweaked it! Happy baking.

Bluestocking Thu 17-Jul-14 23:05:32

Put them close together on the baking tray because "scones like company". My granny's top scone tip.

EugenesAxe Thu 17-Jul-14 23:06:30

Delia's buttermilk scones are always good for me. How to Cook book two.

treaclesoda Thu 17-Jul-14 23:08:06

Buttermilk, definitely.

Also, I read a tip about baking them in a deep tray rather than a flat baking sheet, and when I tried it they definitely turned out softer. I think it was something to do with them not drying out as much round the edges.

BridgettRousselot Fri 18-Jul-14 20:55:59

Thank you all of you smile

I made a batch, they were not rock cakes shock they were lovely and soft.

I think the mix wasn't wet enough, lesson learned for next time.

The tip for sugar on top was a lovely result, I didn't bother with the lemon.

I used the BBC recipe, I think I will double it next time and freeze some.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Aug-14 16:33:23

Thanks for all these great tips - we've made a handy page based on them here.

I followed the advice on here and have made the best scones ever. DD had three yesterday...

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now