chocolate cake recipe for a giant cupcake

(4 Posts)
anyoldname76 Tue 15-Jul-14 15:54:14

Has anybody got a nice recipe for a chocolate cake that will be sturdy enough for a giant cupcake mould?

I don't think my usual cake mix will hold up as its fairly light.

SixImpossible Tue 15-Jul-14 16:04:29

4 eggs
8oz caster sugar
8oz butter
6oz self raising flour
1oz cornflour
1oz cocoa powder
1tsp vanilla extract

Sift cornflour and cocoa powder.
Mix all ingredients gently until just combined. Then scrape the bowl down and beat vigorously 1-2mins by hand or 20aecs by machine.

Bake at 180C/Reg4 until springy to touch and a skewer comes out clean. Probably 35-50 mins, depending on size and shape of cake tin.

You can also replace 1oz of flour with 1oz of ground almonds, which improves the texture even more.

anyoldname76 Tue 15-Jul-14 16:07:59

Thank you, I won't be able use almonds unfortunately as my dh is slightly allergic to nuts (comes out in a rash)

stealthsquiggle Thu 17-Jul-14 23:10:26

My standard chocolate cake recipe for cakes which need to be fairly dense because they are in silly shapes and/or will have a lot of icing on is the Green & Blacks Inmates chocolate cake recipe. If you google that you should find it - the only diversion from the recipe is that it takes for bloody ever to cook, but it is moist and tasty and co-operates with being carved too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now