Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What to do with sunken ginger cake?

(9 Posts)
Nonie241419 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:20:22

I rushed making a sticky ginger cake today and it overflowed in the oven, then sank on coming out. I'm sure it will taste fine, once the crusty edges have been removed, but it's not fit for the party I was making it for. Is there anything else I could use it in, like trifle or ??? Or shall I just feed it to the DC as spoils of war, lol!

Portlypenguin Wed 09-Jul-14 21:21:29

Serve with custard!!

Monopolice Wed 09-Jul-14 21:22:05

Eat it?

With custard if you don't want to see it.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Wed 09-Jul-14 21:23:07

A trifle is a great idea.

Scousadelic Wed 09-Jul-14 21:24:03

Cut it into pieces and place in a dish, make a toffee sauce, spoon over and warm through in the oven. Serve with ice cream.

I think Delia does some little ginger puddings with a sauce on so you could modify that

Nonie241419 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:34:17

It will definitely be eaten! I just wondered if I could pretty it up so I could still use it at the party. If not, we will happily scoff it here. I couldn't do any hot suggestions at the party as it's at someone else's house and it will be for a buffet.
If I did a trifle, which jelly would be best? Orange? And then just top with vanilla custard and cream, or branch out with some different flavours?

bughunt Wed 09-Jul-14 21:36:15

whip cream and mix in tinned mandarin oranges (drained). spread all over. slice. eat. yum.

Valsoldknickers Wed 09-Jul-14 21:42:10

Another suggestion is to break it up into sundae glasses layer it with icecream, drizzle with honey and throw some chopped nuts on top. Ginger cake is always delicious even if it is sunken ;)

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 09-Jul-14 21:44:42

Ginger cake and lemon ice cream is a sublime pudding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now