Quick cake ideas

(13 Posts)
LizzieMint Sun 06-Jul-14 11:27:34

It's my MIL's birthday on Tuesday so I thought I'd make her a cake - it has to be something quick to do though because I've got cakes to make for customers as well this week.
I don't do quick and easy cakes usually, they tend to take hours i need reining in and I'm a bit bereft of ideas!

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 06-Jul-14 11:32:33

You can't beat a beautiful light Victoria sponge really

Covered in white fondant and decorated in flowers?

I did one recently for DD's birthday, just had major surgery so wasn't up to much.

It was demolished by all in one sitting

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sun 06-Jul-14 11:38:24

Chocolate brownie batter baked, chocolate ganache over the top.

Sponge cake, cream and strawberries/raspberries.

Sponge, lemon curd in the middle, lemon buttercream on the top.

And decorations - let the children loose with sprinkles etc. rather than trying to achieve adult perfection!

Purplecircle Sun 06-Jul-14 11:40:05

Victoria sponge, whipped cream and strawberries in the middle. Dusting of icing sugar on top?

LizzieMint Sun 06-Jul-14 12:05:33

I did think of a plain Vicky sandwich (I'd love one personally) but not sure how well it would go down. Because I make (decorated) cakes for my job, I wondered if they'd think it was a bit of a cop-out (not really my MIL, who is lovely, but my FIL and SIL)

sharond101 Sun 06-Jul-14 21:32:44

This guinness cake is very quick and simple to do. Looks great with the icing and some cocoa powder sprinkled on top,

www.stylist.co.uk/life/recipes/chocolate-guinness-cake

LizzieMint Sun 06-Jul-14 21:34:34

Ah sharond, that's my very very very favourite cake. Unfortunately, noone else likes it so when I make it I have to freeze a tiny bit of it otherwise I eat it all.

ThisIsYourSong Sun 06-Jul-14 21:45:09

This food processor cake us soooo easy and delicious. I make two of the smaller cakes and freeze one - always get lots of compliments. They take a while to cook but prep very quick.

VeryThelma Sun 06-Jul-14 21:46:31

Sponge with choc fingers buttercreamed to the edge and maltesers on top

Thurlow Sun 06-Jul-14 21:50:58

There's a Nigella clementine cake which is lovely, it takes a few hours but you're not actually doing anything, if that makes sense. It's quite different and dessert-y?

nannycook Sun 06-Jul-14 22:52:37

What about a lovely white or pink cake with some fancy hearts and some fondant beads?

Lovage Fri 18-Jul-14 11:37:32

Assuming your MIL is also a doting grandmother, I'd get your kids to decorate a plain-ish cake (maybe lemon and ground almond, just to be a bit different - subsititute ground almonds for about 1/4 of the flour), using as many ludicrous decorations as they want (unless your kids are too old and sophisticated to like doing this) - then it becomes something from you all and something that is clearly distinguished from your professional cakes.

Lovage Fri 18-Jul-14 11:38:25

Ah sorry, see I am too late to be useful. Hope you sorted something out you and she were happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now