Freezing cake ?

(6 Posts)
BeaLola Fri 27-Jun-14 19:45:28

Can you freeze a cake with fondant icing on it ? Also is it better to freeze what is left or in slices ?

DoingItForMyself Fri 27-Jun-14 19:47:45

I have done and it was fine. Carrot cake with white chocolate ganache and fondant ('twas delicious both before and after freezing!) and chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and fondant. Even the very delicate decoration was fine and didn't smudge or run when it defrosted. I froze it in big lumps as I thought it might dry out a bit if it was chopped up and then I could also trim off the edges if needed and still eat the middle.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 27-Jun-14 19:53:45

I freeze in slices wrapped in baking parchment then plastic bags. I find it doesn't keep once defrosted and this way can just defrost what we need.

I buy the costco choc fudge cake for my birthday and then freeze 3/4 of it as slices which we micro defrost and have hot with icecream for an instant pud.

Normal homemade birthday cakes, buttercream/ fondant I don't find micro defrost at all well but are still good so long as they're tightly wrapped and sealed before freezing.

BeaLola Fri 27-Jun-14 19:55:37

Thank you .

This was a made birthday cake for my son - it was bigger than expected ! It is a lemon flavoured cake .

DoingItForMyself Sat 28-Jun-14 13:27:26

Ooh I love lemon cake, it's second only to carrot in my book. Incidentally, I got woken up this morning by ds1 (14)asking which sugar he needed to use to make carrot cake. If you're going to wake me up, the promise of cake is about the only acceptable way!

BeaLola Sat 28-Jun-14 14:48:24

I woke up to a piece of the cake being given to me by said 6 year old - he is obviously hoping we eat it all so ther is none left to freeze !

Lemon is his favourite and I must admit it was scrummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now