Best Victoria sponge recipe?

(10 Posts)
nannyj Wed 25-Jun-14 21:37:01

I'm making my dd a birthday cake and it will be two tiers so what recipe does everyone use? Or is madiera the best? It's just round so don't have to cut it and will cover in fondant.

Thanks!

Pimpf Wed 25-Jun-14 21:40:49

I used a recipe from the British bake off. Was pretty much the same as all the others as far as I can remember, however make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature , double sift the flour and mix each part for a lot longer than you think you will. This will make you cake lovely and light and fluffy.

nannyj Wed 25-Jun-14 21:48:36

Thanks so much!

LizzieMint Thu 26-Jun-14 20:48:10

There's only one real vic sandwich recipe, just written different ways! basically it's equal quantities of eggs, sugar, flour and butter, some recipes estimate the weight of the eggs but it's easier just to weigh your eggs and weigh everything else out to the same weight. Beat together your butter and sugar first, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well in between each addition - you can add a spoonful of flour if you need to to stop curdling. Then fold in the flour gently at the end.
If you want to do the all-in-one method, add half a tsp of baking powder to compensate.

Bunbaker Thu 26-Jun-14 20:53:01

LizzieMint is spot on. If I make a 3 egg sponge I add a teaspoon of baking powder. I never use the creaming method these days, but use the all-in-one method which is less likely to fail and takes far less time.

It is important to preheat the oven, measure your ingredients exactly, use the right size cake tins and bake at the right temperature. So, for a 3 egg mix I would bake in 2 x 7" tins for 25 minutes at gas mark 4 (160 deg fan)

nannycook Sat 28-Jun-14 08:13:41

I'll 2nd that, all,in,one for me too, never fails.

nannyj Sat 28-Jun-14 22:19:23

Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully the cake tastes ok, we will find out tomorrow!

Bunbaker Sat 28-Jun-14 22:23:48

Wow!

FuturePerfect Sat 28-Jun-14 22:28:41

Best tip I have is to use 'sponge flour' (ours is in blue pack from Waitrose wink) . Basically super fine milled and ALWAYS makes cakes taste light and amazing.

imtheonlyone Sat 28-Jun-14 22:36:21

I always use the recipe as above - weigh your eggs then everything else in equal quantities. Just make sure you weigh eggs in their shells smile
I tend to add 2 tsp of vanilla extract too grin. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now