Does anyone have any tips for using egg substitutes in baking?

(7 Posts)
redandyellowbits Tue 24-Jun-14 20:15:38

I bought this egg substitute to make some fairy cakes with, due to party guests having allergies.

The resulting fairy cakes were very heavy and did not rise anywhere near as well as my cakes usually do.

I used the same recipe I always do, so no other changes.

Can anyone offer any pointers?

Liara Tue 24-Jun-14 20:17:06

I tend to use flax seeds, ground up and mixed with water.

It does change the texture a bit, so I fiddle around with the recipe until I am happy with the result.

TheHoundsBitch Tue 24-Jun-14 20:18:56

A lot of recipes use tofu, my friend uses beetroot for chocolate cakes.

nettie Tue 24-Jun-14 20:34:18

Don't bother with it, search for vegan recipes instead. There are loads of lovely vegan cake/cupcake recipes out there. This one always works well

www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=cakes&recipe=lemon_cake

Cataline Tue 24-Jun-14 23:53:45

Loads of Betty Crocker cake mixes are actually vegan. You can add a single 330ml can of fizzy pop to a mix and it'll make a fairly decent dairy and egg free cake.
I like to use the choc orange marble mix (but not faff about with the marbling bit- just mix it all together!) I usually melt a full bar of Green&Blacks maya gold over the top too!

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Wed 25-Jun-14 00:27:06

I agree the parsley soup website is brilliant. Also the Pure website has recipes for great cakes.
The bbc has a recipe for a WW2 eggless sponge that uses store cupboard ingredients and has a great texture.

redandyellowbits Wed 25-Jun-14 14:12:43

Thanks for your suggestions - looks like the no-egg stuff will be sitting unused in my cupboard then smile

I did try the can of fizzy drink approach and it didn't work very well, I'll try the parsley soup website idea next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now