Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Gluten-free cake recipes with a proper 'cake' texture...?

(7 Posts)
willowisp Sun 22-Jun-14 15:03:17

Just made Nigellas Old Fashioned choc cake with gluten free plain flour. Came out fine, looks like a good rise....but has a grainy, almost gritty texture....I was hoping for that lovely, luscious moistness that comes with using sour cream.

I used Doves farm flour & compared their recipe for Victoria sponge & chocolate sponge, in case there was a mystery ingredient I may have missed, but nothing confused.

Is Xanthan gum the answer ?

MikeLitoris Sun 22-Jun-14 15:06:53

I always use gum and it makes a huge difference to my Gf cakes. My tip would be not to mix too mu ch though. It will turn to glue!

We use rice flour instead and otherwise keep thr recipes the same and it works nicely.

willowisp Sun 22-Jun-14 16:33:43

How much gum per 100g of flour ? Does it make a difference whether plain or SR ?

With rice flour, do you need to treat like plain flour ?

Nigella cake uses plain flour, baking powder & bicarbonate (I just substituted PF for plain gluten free)

bronya Sun 22-Jun-14 16:36:29

You can use gum, but adding an extra egg to any normal gluten free recipe usually works as well. I use the Doves farm flour (that has some gum in already), add an extra egg and it turns out beautifully.

CMOTDibbler Sun 22-Jun-14 16:40:55

I never find my gf cakes grainy with the Doves Farm GF flour. I add a teaspoon of glycerin to drier textured cakes, and possibly they need a little more milk to get a dropping texture, but I don't think theres a lot in it

nannycook Wed 25-Jun-14 11:49:49

I second that with doves farm, never had any probs, in fact they said it was that nice they weren't convinced it was GF, obviously joking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now