Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Stork buttercream disaster. Please help!

(22 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Sat 14-Jun-14 18:42:02

It's DDs birthday party tomorrow. I've used up all my proper butter in the cupcakes and the DCs are asleep so can't buy more.

I have stork. Will this work enough to satisfy 30 3/4 year olds? Should I add vanilla essence to it? Could I add hot chocolate powder to make chocolate buttercream?

Next year I am buying the bloody cupcakes.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 14-Jun-14 18:50:14

I don't think I'd make buttercream with stork... It might just be horrible... Can you just make a glaze with icing sugar and water and then lots of sprinkles???

Or peanut butter icing which is what I always do when I've run out of butter!!!

TheNightIsDark Sat 14-Jun-14 18:51:30

I need to stand up some jake and the pirates wafer cake toppers. Not sure if they'll stand up in just normal icing.

Bugger.

GrendelsMinim Sat 14-Jun-14 18:53:07

We always had stork in our cakes when I was a girl - I do actually think it makes a lighter icing and a slightly lighter cake.
Tbh, and I would never admit this to DH, I actually prefer stork icing to butter icing...

GrendelsMinim Sat 14-Jun-14 18:53:41

Yes, add the cocoa powder and they'll wolf it down!

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 14-Jun-14 18:53:46

Can you make up a little and then taste it to see if it's edible?? Vanilla might help the flavour but I don't think hot choc powder dissolves properly in icing... Try mixing it with hot water first...

TeamEdward Sat 14-Jun-14 18:54:18

You should have put the stork in the cake and used the butter for the buttercream (clues in the name!)

But that doesn't help you now... grin

To be honest, 3 and 4 year olds are not the most discerning cake eaters, so I doubt they'd notice you'd used Stork not butter. Vanilla essence will help.

TheNightIsDark Sat 14-Jun-14 18:55:34

I'll chance it then grin

Hopefully they'll be so distracted by sugar and balloons that they won't care how it tastes!

Put in a Tescos order for early delivery tomorrow? The minimum spend for free delivery is £25 now, so you could make that up with stuff for your usual weekly shop?

sarahbanshee Sat 14-Jun-14 18:57:08

It'll be fine for the kids - I can always tell if it's not real butter and don't like it but the kids go for the sweetness and the lurid colour over the taste every time!

ShatnersBassoon Sat 14-Jun-14 18:58:46

Margarine icing is disgusting, but not to young children. It's something people learn to hate as they age.

mootime Sat 14-Jun-14 18:59:55

I'm dairy free at the moment due to baby's milk allergy but was craving chocolate cake. I made the cake and buttercream with stork and I won't go back to baking with butter, it was yummy!

TheNightIsDark Sat 14-Jun-14 19:25:17

It tastes ok actually. Then again I will eat most cake products!

My kitchen is covered in a coating of icing sugar though.

DanaBarrett Sat 14-Jun-14 19:27:02

We use stork due to dairy allergies and it's definitely just as good!

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 14-Jun-14 19:33:34

Mum always used Stork for everything baked when I was little - I still rather like Stork buttercream... blush

Fairylea Sat 14-Jun-14 19:38:32

Mary Berry uses stork for cakes. If it's good enough for her...

I now make my cakes with it. They come up super light and lovely. And you can do buttercream with it too. Just use less than you would do with butter and add a dash of milk and more icing and a drop of vanilla. Lovely.

Stork is basically vegetable oil. That's all.

GrendelsMinim Sat 14-Jun-14 20:39:03

So Stork is dairy free? So there's actually an excellent excuse for using it...

JamJimJam Sat 14-Jun-14 20:43:58

NO! it's ok for cakes, but beyond disgusting for icing or buttercream.

I know this as ds made a spectacular looking cake, but the noisome stork based icing rendered it inedible.

nannycook Sat 14-Jun-14 22:00:44

Nope! Has to be butter for buttercream,for me anyway.

NanaNina Sat 14-Jun-14 22:13:29

Totally agree with Fairylea - I use Stork in cakes and for "storkcream" and yes add a few drops of vanilla if you have any - if not don't bother. It will be fine.

sarahbanshee Sun 15-Jun-14 11:42:06

Hope the party went well - did they scoff the rank icing (and leave the lovely cakes?!?)

TheNightIsDark Sun 15-Jun-14 11:43:42

It's at 2:30 so will report back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now