Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help! Birthday cake suitable for a diabetic 2 year old...

(7 Posts)

My nephew has been diagnosed with type one diabetes and with birthday season starting in my family (at least one a month from May to January!) I need a nice recipe so he can join in still. Can anyone help pls? smile cake

* bump *

Bramblesinforrin Sun 08-Jun-14 22:15:07

Hi Suzy. Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Don't worry, people with t1 can eat everything that anyone can eat. To be honest he may be so excited at his party that a birthday cake will help to keep his levels 'up'

It's lovely that you're thinking of doing this.

Should the family want further support and information they could try the lovely people at www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org

My son was diagnosed aged seven. He's 14 now and using a pump, which has been a godsend. People like you being thoughtful and still wanting to be with him and do nice things helped to keep me sane. X

Bramblesinforrin Sun 08-Jun-14 22:16:23

The most helpful thing for us was also learning about carb counting - then we could match the insulin he needed to the food he wanted to eat. Having a pump meant that we could give the smaller increments we couldn't do with injections.

It's early days at the moment, but it will get easier.

Oh thanks very much. It's all a bit confusing and overwhelming at first, but I'm sure we will get there XXx

I was coming on to add my comments but Brambles has pretty much summed it up!
My DH has T1 and was diagnosed aged 8 and like Brambles, carb counting was the best thing for him! (he doesn't have a pump though)
He gets a bit cross when people assume/tell him he shouldn't be eating certain things. He gets irrational rage at 'Diabetic' ice cream/jam/chocolate etc at the supermarket.

It will be bloody hard work for your family, but will get easier, especially as he is so young, he won't remember any different.

The age thing is a mixed blessing at the moment as his levels shoot up and down. Thanks for the advice though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now