Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

(9 Posts)
barefootcook Wed 04-Jun-14 09:07:03

I am keen to make the cupcakes baked in ice cream cones from the Mumsnet cookbook. Has anyone used this recipe and did they work? I will need to make them the day before the party. Will the cones go soggy over night?

LizzieMint Wed 04-Jun-14 21:37:35

I haven't made them but I have seen a tip saying instead of putting the cake mixture in the cones you put the cake mix in a normal cake case then invert the cone over the top so the cake rises into it, IYSWIM.

I've made them. They do rise fine and you should be ok doing it the day before. The cones go slightly soggy from being bakes anyway, I don't think it will be affected that much. I've always used the flat bottomed, shorter cones as opposed to the pointed ones.

I should say, I used this recipe not the mumsnet one:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/ice-cream-cone-cakes

creamandsugar Wed 04-Jun-14 21:42:53

Oooh marking my place! Have a birthday coming up and I'd love to make these!!
lizziemintI'm thinking u'd have to fill a cupcake case up to the brim and then put the cone on top so it would fill the cone up fully.

LizzieMint Wed 04-Jun-14 22:36:53

I don't know creamandsugar, I haven't tried them myself, I just remember reading it as a tip (on craftfail I think?) when someone was having trouble getting the cones (flat bottomed ones) to stand up in a cupcake tin as they were smaller than a cupcake case would be and kept falling over.

BigfootFiles Wed 04-Jun-14 22:40:45

Assuming you're using the cones with the flat bases, then just stand them on a baking tray, don't put them in a cupcake tin. That's how I've done it previously.

moocowmrs Wed 04-Jun-14 22:43:34

I have used the inverted method many times works a treat,use flat bottomed small cones otherwise too much cone iykwim. They are yummy and go down well.

CambridgeBlue Wed 04-Jun-14 22:43:59

I've made the Good Food ones and they turned out great - kids love them. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now