Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Pricing questions

(5 Posts)
doradoo Sat 24-May-14 11:57:17

Those of you who 'cake' professionally - or even on the side.... how do you price up your cakes?

Hourly rate?
Ingredients multiple?
Random number?

Just starting out for friends who are asking me to do things for them, but wondering how to sell myself - don't want to underrate but also wary of things being -what I'd term too expensive.

Been debating with DH (who's an accountant and not sure if that helps or not) but not really sure where to start - as I seem to either undervalue my skill or end up with a ridiculous amount which I wouldn't pay myself - but then as I would do it myself am not prepared to pay a premium IYSWIM.

Am I overthinking this?

Midori1999 Sat 24-May-14 15:53:35

Cost of ingredients, board etc plus an hourly rate, plus a percentage of equipment costs.

doradoo Tue 27-May-14 08:15:55

Thanks Midori! Kind of adds up to what I was thinking in terms of numbers - but still seems way more than I'd pay for a cake......

However friend was happy, paid more than what I asked and friend's daughter over the moon. Will need to try and have more confidence in what I do and what I charge!

LizzieMint Sat 31-May-14 19:34:51

Pricing is sooooo hard. I've been doing it as a business for 18 months or so. You can buy a good app called cakeulator which lets you put in ingredients, tasks (for time) a and your profit margin and it will work out the price for you.
Confidence is a big thing though, I don't think anyone starts out charging enough! Happy to discuss more about setting up and what you need to do etc if you want to pm me.

BreeVDKamp Sun 01-Jun-14 09:39:29

Ingredients +
Board, box, tissue paper etc +
Bills (electricity, insurance etc. obviously not the whole bill amount! But a small peoportion towards them) +
Hourly rate (your pay) +
Profit

People get what they pay for! Don't undersell yourself, if they don't want to pay how much you charge then they are not the customer for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now