How to make grass-green buttercream?

(35 Posts)
HalfATankini Thu 22-May-14 15:01:26

Hi, it's ds2's birthday soon and he's football crazy so I fancied doing a football pitch cake. I've bought a grass tip nozzle and practiced with plain buttercream - all ok.

The problems that I can't seem to get anything close to a grass-green colour with the buttercream. It's too pale and obv the more colouring I add the runnier it gets so I won't get the right effect...

Do I need a gel paste colouring? And which shade? Looking on amazon I can find mint green, sea green and spruce green but I'm not sure which I want?!

I'm in West London if anyone happens to know where I could go to pick some up? Or can recommend the perfect grass shade online.

Thanks!

nannycook Sun 25-May-14 22:31:57

Well done tankini, next one will be a breeze.

5madthings Sun 25-May-14 21:57:50

Brilliant! That's the same goal and player set I have smile

HalfATankini Sun 25-May-14 21:24:12

Here's the finished cake! Thank you all so much, it was a great practise and has nearly all been eaten grin

5madthings Sat 24-May-14 17:00:38

I use the wiltons paste food colouring, they are great I did grass recently for an Easter cake and also used the grass nozzle to do Oscar the grouch.

I did a football pitch cake for ds2 a few years ago, I bought a set with goals and players etc and just did rectangle cake and did green buttercream and iced on the white lines.

Its a simple and effective cake but you need paste or gel colours to colour your icing.

HalfATankini Sat 24-May-14 16:53:05

Thank you both so much. My first ever Madeira cake (a concoction of 4 different recipes) is in the oven. It's a 6 egg mixture. I forgot to tap the tin before it went in and now I'm tortured by the bubbles rising to the surface grin

nannycook Sat 24-May-14 08:54:10

Its a really big tin, and as this is only a practise and if it turns out OK you could always freeze it than just eat it, I think I used 450grms of everything and 8 eggs, I put everything in and beat for 2mins but its up to you, cook for 1HR 30, but check as it was very long time since I made it sweetpea, And gas 2,3.

nannycook Sat 24-May-14 08:19:25

Its a really big tin, and as this is only a practise and if it turns out OK you could always freeze it than just eat it, I think I used 450grms of everything and 8 eggs, I put everything in and beat for 2mins but its up to you, cook for 1HR 30, but check as it was very long time since I made it sweetpea, And gas 2,3.

evertonmint Fri 23-May-14 20:34:09

30 x 20 should be easy if you have a recipe which is for a 20 x 20 square (8 inch square) - just multiply by 1.5 as it's just a 20 x 20 plus a 10 x 20 - so if it's 4 eggs then use 6 etc.

I wouldn't increase cooking time by that much though - would check when the original recipe time is up and judge an extra 5, 10, 20 as you see fit.

Also when you check, you may want to put a sheet of greaseproof with a hole cut in the centre over it if it starts to look brown but hasn't cooked in the centre yet.

HalfATankini Fri 23-May-14 19:29:35

Ooh nannycook yes please. I've made hundreds of fairy cakes so know what I'm doing with a basic sponge recipe. I usually weigh the eggs and then match the flour, sugar and butter. So how many eggs would you reckon for that tin? (I realised that I added in the "rim" around the edge so it's probably closer to 30x20 if that makes any difference?!

Thank you so much.

nannycook Fri 23-May-14 18:47:49

Tankini, I never use Madeira, only Victoria, but thats up to you, got quantities for that if you want it, I have exactly same size tin as you.

HalfATankini Fri 23-May-14 16:56:32

Ok my tin is 32cm x 22cm x 5cm. I was thinking of Madeira cake rather than choc.

I'd appreciate any help with volumes thanks.

nannycook Fri 23-May-14 08:14:47

I buy all the Pro gel concentrated colours by Rainbow dust in Amazon, teeny tiny amount you need, they do every colour under the sun.

I used my large roasting tin, cant remember quantities, but I'm sure I used a 12 oz mix, 6 eggs etc, gas 3 for probaly 45/50 mins maybe.

nannycook Fri 23-May-14 08:14:04

I buy all the Pro gel concentrated colours by Rainbow dust in Amazon, teeny tiny amount you need, they do every colour under the sun.

I used my large roasting tin, cant remember quantities, but I'm sure I used a 12 oz mix, 6 eggs etc, gas 3 for probaly 45/50 mins maybe.

evertonmint Fri 23-May-14 07:37:48

I do just one cake then slice it in half to fill with jam and buttercream.

It completely depends on the size of the tin and recipe you're using TBH. Measure your tin and check what your recipe says for a square cake and then scale it up (I can help with that, or use your measurements and give you my Madeira or choc recipe for it if you want)

nannycook Fri 23-May-14 07:21:39

HalfATankini Thu 22-May-14 22:33:34

Thanks everton that's interesting about a roasting tin - do you make one then slice in half or two separate cakes? And what number of eggs? I've got a dress rehearsal for this Sun (ds2's actual birthday) ahead of his party the following week.

wanna which supermarket? The only gel colours I've found so far are the Dr Oetker ones which have been pretty hopeless.

WannaSplitAPineapple Thu 22-May-14 22:28:29

I find the Home2Bake concentrated gel is great for grass. I get mine in the supermarket so it's not expensive and because it's concentrated it doesn't make the buttercream runny.

evertonmint Thu 22-May-14 22:24:04

Rectangular cakes bake fine and it's easier to handle after than trying to get 2 square ones the same height and staying joined together. I do mine in a roasting tin and just scale up a square recipe appropriately.

HalfATankini Thu 22-May-14 21:24:04

Ooh nannycook that is exactly the colour I'm after thanks.

Can I also ask - do you make a rectangular cake or patch together square ones? I'm nervous about making a rectangular cake bake evenly.

this is why I usually buy their birthday cakes

nannycook Thu 22-May-14 20:08:46

Oops x 3, not so good.

nannycook Thu 22-May-14 20:05:54

Half, I use the same as notso, the pro gel leaf green, its in Amazon, made by rainbow dust, I made rugby pitch with it, have a look at it on my profile to see if its the right colour for you.

nannycook Thu 22-May-14 20:05:23

Half, I use the same as notso, the pro gel leaf green, its in Amazon, made by rainbow dust, I made rugby pitch with it, have a look at it on my profile to see if its the right colour for you.

nannycook Thu 22-May-14 20:04:57

HalfATankini Thu 22-May-14 17:59:50

And lol at playing on the beach grin

HalfATankini Thu 22-May-14 17:59:09

Thank you all so much. My next option is food colour mixed with dessicated coconut but I'm pretty sure ds2 wouldn't actually eat it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now