How to make grass-green buttercream?

(35 Posts)
HalfATankini Thu 22-May-14 15:01:26

Hi, it's ds2's birthday soon and he's football crazy so I fancied doing a football pitch cake. I've bought a grass tip nozzle and practiced with plain buttercream - all ok.

The problems that I can't seem to get anything close to a grass-green colour with the buttercream. It's too pale and obv the more colouring I add the runnier it gets so I won't get the right effect...

Do I need a gel paste colouring? And which shade? Looking on amazon I can find mint green, sea green and spruce green but I'm not sure which I want?!

I'm in West London if anyone happens to know where I could go to pick some up? Or can recommend the perfect grass shade online.

Thanks!

nannycook Fri 23-May-14 18:47:49

Tankini, I never use Madeira, only Victoria, but thats up to you, got quantities for that if you want it, I have exactly same size tin as you.

HalfATankini Fri 23-May-14 19:29:35

Ooh nannycook yes please. I've made hundreds of fairy cakes so know what I'm doing with a basic sponge recipe. I usually weigh the eggs and then match the flour, sugar and butter. So how many eggs would you reckon for that tin? (I realised that I added in the "rim" around the edge so it's probably closer to 30x20 if that makes any difference?!

Thank you so much.

evertonmint Fri 23-May-14 20:34:09

30 x 20 should be easy if you have a recipe which is for a 20 x 20 square (8 inch square) - just multiply by 1.5 as it's just a 20 x 20 plus a 10 x 20 - so if it's 4 eggs then use 6 etc.

I wouldn't increase cooking time by that much though - would check when the original recipe time is up and judge an extra 5, 10, 20 as you see fit.

Also when you check, you may want to put a sheet of greaseproof with a hole cut in the centre over it if it starts to look brown but hasn't cooked in the centre yet.

nannycook Sat 24-May-14 08:19:25

Its a really big tin, and as this is only a practise and if it turns out OK you could always freeze it than just eat it, I think I used 450grms of everything and 8 eggs, I put everything in and beat for 2mins but its up to you, cook for 1HR 30, but check as it was very long time since I made it sweetpea, And gas 2,3.

nannycook Sat 24-May-14 08:54:10

Its a really big tin, and as this is only a practise and if it turns out OK you could always freeze it than just eat it, I think I used 450grms of everything and 8 eggs, I put everything in and beat for 2mins but its up to you, cook for 1HR 30, but check as it was very long time since I made it sweetpea, And gas 2,3.

HalfATankini Sat 24-May-14 16:53:05

Thank you both so much. My first ever Madeira cake (a concoction of 4 different recipes) is in the oven. It's a 6 egg mixture. I forgot to tap the tin before it went in and now I'm tortured by the bubbles rising to the surface grin

5madthings Sat 24-May-14 17:00:38

I use the wiltons paste food colouring, they are great I did grass recently for an Easter cake and also used the grass nozzle to do Oscar the grouch.

I did a football pitch cake for ds2 a few years ago, I bought a set with goals and players etc and just did rectangle cake and did green buttercream and iced on the white lines.

Its a simple and effective cake but you need paste or gel colours to colour your icing.

HalfATankini Sun 25-May-14 21:24:12

Here's the finished cake! Thank you all so much, it was a great practise and has nearly all been eaten grin

5madthings Sun 25-May-14 21:57:50

Brilliant! That's the same goal and player set I have smile

nannycook Sun 25-May-14 22:31:57

Well done tankini, next one will be a breeze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now