Wholesale chocolate for a very large refrigerator/rocky road cake

(24 Posts)

Hello bakers, me and SIL are going to make a big heart-shaped rocky road cake for my nuptials in August. It's gonna take a lot of chocolate to make so I've just been looking at wholesale dark chocolate, like this:

www.hbingredients.co.uk/Category/Ingredients/93

www.chocolatetradingco.com/chocolates/by-brand/callebaut-chocolate

Do you think this is the kind of thing that will work? Or should I stick to buying big bars of Cadburys?

Any other ideas?

How much chocolate do you need?

I've always found the tesco basics cooking chocolate (21p) a bar the best in terms of both cooking and price.

orangepudding Sat 17-May-14 08:25:12

How much do you need?

It's a 16" tin. I've no idea but a few kilos I would imagine. I have smaller tins too to make tiers if we want. They are quite deep.

nannycook Sat 17-May-14 09:48:41

Aw I make that regularly I always use Cadbury, what about 3 or 4 400grms bars?

calzone Sat 17-May-14 09:50:56

I wouldnt make it too deep as it will be a bugger to cut!

I agree with Tesco dark value choc. Much nicer than Cadburys.

tb Sat 17-May-14 12:22:05

Supercook's nice, too. Belgian choc, or it was.

AmpersandRea Sat 17-May-14 12:28:05

Cadbury's would be my choice.

Or asda smartprice dark chocolate.... 60% cocoa solids, so good quality, rich flavour, 30 p a bar and it's great for cooking with.

uggmum Sat 17-May-14 12:35:46

I buy big bags from Costco. Their own brand is really good quality and value.

Ooh thanks. Might have a few goes with the smallest tin I have and see which works best. Great advice thanks cake

I've just joined Costco too so will have a look smile

wonkylegs Sat 17-May-14 18:00:39

Morrissons, sainsbury's or Tesco (no idea about other supermarkets) own brand regular chocolate is far superior for baking than cadburys or cooking chocolate.
I make brownies, ganache, chocolate cakes and chocolate chip ice cream on a regular basis with it.

RhondaJean Sat 17-May-14 18:04:05

I only ever use sainsburys basics chocolate for baking. It's 30p a bar and the dark is actually very nice even for eating on its own.

GrownupGoth Sat 17-May-14 18:50:04

My friend made a huge 50 people first birthday rocky road cake with Cadbury's. I honestly think it's the nicest cake I have ever had. Divine.

I think the recipe was from www.odlums.ie/recipes/baking-with-children/rocky-road-bars/ but multiplied and in a cake tin.

Lidli do fantastic chocolate. And it's cheap.

LizzieMint Sat 17-May-14 20:32:29

Aldi or Lidl chocolate will be fine for this and are cheaper even than the Costco choc I think.

LoveBeingInTheSun Sat 17-May-14 20:33:44

I always use sainsburys basics, 2 bars of dark to 1 bar of milk, is lush

LoveBeingInTheSun Sat 17-May-14 20:34:18

Ps even my cadburys only mum loved it and was horrified at herself

theincrediblealfonso Sat 17-May-14 20:37:01

Lidl's choc is really nice. Some weekends it's half price, like 19p for 100g I think? 30% cocoa solids so brill for that price. I always use it for baking.

WhereAreMyGlasses Sat 17-May-14 22:25:44

I'd agree with waiting for the Lidl bars on sale c.20p or if you can't wait and stock up then Basics Sainsbury's chocolate is good at around 30p/100g

willowisp Sun 25-May-14 00:00:19

I make Rocky road, but use really dark choc to balance the golden syrup.

It takes rank with the basic cheap chocs suggested here. My faves are Green & Black (for DH as expensice !) the aldi or lidl 81% choc, Waitrose dark continental choc & the dark cooking chocolate at Costco. This is the cheapest.... having said that, the Aldi/Lidl dark choc is ok & I think 99p for 200g.

The darker you make it, the small the portions for everyone as its very rich.

BreeVDKamp Sun 01-Jun-14 09:42:31

Belcolade is industry standard wholesale choc, it's ace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now