Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Writing letters on a cake

(9 Posts)
Tinkerball Thu 15-May-14 20:45:14

Well as the title says I'm wondering how hard or easy this is? Basically I've been asked to do a plain white communion cake with silver writing. I've saw silver edible paint on EBay and I assume it's just a case of using a paintbrush and painting the words and letting them dry. But my writing is not the best and I don't have a steady hand so what to do to make it easier?

lougle Thu 15-May-14 20:50:10

You've got a few options.

1. Get letter cutters. Cut the letters out of sugar paste, paint them, then stick them on with edible glue.

2. Print the words out in reverse using the font you like on a printer. Trace over the letters on greaseproof or teaching paper with an hb pencil. Place the paper so that the text reads correctly where you want it to be and gently scribble over the top of it. The pencil will lightly transfer into the cake. Paint/pipe in the outline.

3. As above but using piping gel instead of pencil.

LizzieMint Thu 15-May-14 22:37:21

I've just finished painting silver lettering so thought I'd add my tips! If you are going to paint you need an ultra fine brush - at least 00 I'd say. Use vodka to thin the paint down (or buy silver lustre dust instead and mix with vodka). Don't paint directly on the cake, do it on a plaque so if it goes horribly wrong you only need to redo the plaque. If it goes a bit wrong, vodka on a cotton wool bud with remove the paint without getting the icing sticky.

Tinkerball Sat 17-May-14 13:58:20

Thanks both of you!

I've got metal letter cutters, but was unsure how it would look on the cake, all the ones I've looked at on google and pin interest, the writing looks fancier! I like the idea of your second option lougle, think I will need a practice.

I like the idea of painting onto a plaque in case of a mistake to.

lougle Sat 17-May-14 18:06:18

The whole design of this cake was done using method 2 - I'd never tried it before. It's really so easy - just trace carefully on the reverse image, scribble gently on the right side, then follow the lines.

LizzieMint Sat 17-May-14 20:27:16

Also just occurred to me that of course you could just buy an edible ink pen in the colour you want and that would make things much easier. If you do paint or use a pen, you shouldn't do it on soft fondant, let it dry out for a bit first.

Tinkerball Sun 18-May-14 20:01:39

Lougle, thats a fab cake, well done! Can I ask a stupid question - how do you get what you want to say printed off, Ive googled it without success so far!

Lizzie, Ive now went out and bought one exactly like you describe, just in case!

Tinkerball Sun 18-May-14 20:04:51

So if I want "Holy Communion" I would write all these letters backwards? Sorry for sounding thick confused grin

lougle Sun 18-May-14 20:18:02

If you use Microsoft Word, you can type the wording in a text box, choosing your font and size, then mirror image the text box and print it.

Alternatively, check all the options on your printer -many of them have a reverse print option.

If all else fails, print it normally then place the page face down. The blackink should be visible. Then put the greaseproof/teaching paper on top and trace.

Remember that you want to really trace hard so that you've got lots of graphite on the greaseproof. Then when you put it on the cake, scribble really gently so that you don't get indentations on your cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now