Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Quick bit of advice needed re.silicon icing moulds please!

(7 Posts)
HarryisHairy Wed 14-May-14 06:18:39

I've got some silicone icing moulds like - a bit like this www.amazon.com/sugarcraft-Silicone-Sugarcraft-Chocolate-Cabochon/dp/B00IGS3RYO if I try to just push fondant icing into them it sticks horribly.

Is dusting with icing the solution? I was worried that would stop the mould making such a clear impression or do I need to mix my fondant with gum tragacanth to make it less sticky? Any ideas?

mossycat Wed 14-May-14 16:29:53

I wipe a small amount of trex (hard white block of vegetable oil) in the moulds, on hands, on rolling pin etc. works a treat!

magicstar1 Wed 14-May-14 16:34:18

Trex works great...or you could use cornflour. Mix the fondant with gum tragacanth, dust the mould with cornflour, and press it in. Leave for a few minutes to firm up, and they should fall easily out of the mould.

HarryisHairy Thu 15-May-14 17:41:18

Thanks! I will try trex next smile Is it better if the fondant is mixed with gum tragacanth or does that not matter?

Vajazzler Thu 15-May-14 20:17:26

I if all else fails I freeze mine. Then pop them out.

LizzieMint Thu 15-May-14 21:06:39

Don't use icing sugar, it just dries out the icing and makes it more prone to cracking, always use cornflour for dusting.
I dust my moulds with cornflour then turn the mould over and tap it to get rid of excess. And use Tylose powder mixed with fondant to make it dry harder. Or flower paste.

siblingrevelryagain Thu 15-May-14 22:32:55

Once you've mixed in the gum trag/tylo etc roll the amount for the mould into s ball, flatten slightly and leave for a few mins-if it dries on the outside slightly it won't stick. This is a good technique for things like letters too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now