Looking for a recipe for 'kaak tresse'... Algerian braided almond honey cake. Anyone know this??

(3 Posts)
PeanutButterAndMarmite Sat 24-May-14 21:24:56

Smen is ghee (clarified butter).

tb Wed 14-May-14 17:28:10

I had a look and the only recipes I could find were in French, with an unknown ingredient called 'smee' and rather strange measurements.

Could you use something like a danish pastry dough, colour half (and flavour with rosewater) and then assemble.

The recipe I saw was rather complicated, using a pasta machine to roll out, cutting circles, putting 2 together of different colours, then putting a ball of filling in the middle, snipping the outside of the circle into strips, then twisting them up to the top. To hide the joins, the top was covered with circles of pink dough and hundreds and thousands to look like flowers.

The filling was a mix of ground almonds, sugar and something to bind it - rosewater perhaps.

Annasdjebrouni Mon 12-May-14 11:53:41

As title says, I'm looking for a recipe for 'kaak tresse'. It is an algerian braided almond and honey dessert with two coloured pastrys. Twisted and braided on top to look so pretty!!
Jumping the gun a bit but I'm pre planning for Ramadan (husband is Muslim) and he likes these so I want to make them for him.

Have googled but can only find recipes in other languages and even translating them it is not clear so any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now