Filling for Fatless Sponge

(12 Posts)
NanaNina Thu 08-May-14 21:02:13

I've finally made fatless sponges (tried a geonese recipe x 2) and had to bin it - was like a hard rubber disc, but I googled "fatless sponge" and no problem. Well I don't exactly know that as they are in the freezer, but they looked fine, and I want to use them for a party soon and am planning a 3 tier cake. I know they need fresh cream and fruit of some sort, but I've never done this, so has anyone got any tips. Thanks.

nannycook Thu 08-May-14 22:09:26

Nana, do you mean 3 tiers, or 3 layers?

NanaNina Thu 08-May-14 22:27:27

I mean 3 layers!

Catsmamma Thu 08-May-14 22:31:45

cream and jam!

or jam and cream!

I'd be a bit worried about it in the freezer...might dry out, I never freeze cakes.

NanaNina Fri 09-May-14 00:47:27

Ah well catsmamma I always freeze cakes and have never had any trouble at all. Mind I've never frozen a fatless sponge before so I'm going to take one out at the weekend to check it. The sponge is so delicate and it did sort of shrink into itself as it cooled so I think jam would be too heavy. I've looked at gateau recipes and the fillings seems to be some sort of fruit and cream, often strawberries, but seem a bit complicated (I'm not a brilliant baker) I was thinking maybe fruit compote. I'm going to do a trial run I think.

Catsmamma Fri 09-May-14 10:49:04

be interested how it comes out.

I haven't made a fatless sponge for ages in cake tins...I think i'll make a swiss roll though,

Maybe something with mascarpone for filling for your cake, not as heavy as buttercream, but can be a change from whipped cream.

NanaNina Mon 12-May-14 19:16:44

Good idea about the mascarpone catsmamma - the cake was lovely and no drying out of sponges in freezer (!) I put M & S summer fruit compote and sliced strawberries and a mixture of mascarpone/whipped cream/icing sugar in between the 4 layers, and whipped cream on the top and round the sides, then M & S small meringues (with raspberry sauce) on top and toasted flaked almonds around the side.

Even though I say it myself it was stunning - first time I've ever done a gateau as opposed to a cake. The sponges were light as air, and soooo easy to make.

Daft question

What the feck is the point of a fatless sponge if you then sandwich it with cream?

What am I missing confused

MarathonFan Mon 12-May-14 19:27:18

A classic sponge cake is fatless Laurie (all eggs and sugar) it's not something that's been invented to be low fat. Most of what we think of as sponge cakes now are actually Victoria sandwiches which keep much better than a real sponge (because of the fat!)

Ty smile

evertonmint Mon 12-May-14 19:45:24

I was wondering the same thing Laurie smile

NanaNina Mon 12-May-14 20:54:50

Oooh I thought I was safe from foster carers on this thread!!! No offence but I often get a hard time from them and adopters merely because I am a retired social worker and not an adopter or FCarer.

The fatless sponge is better for a gateau as the sponge is really much lighter than one made with fat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now