Can you check my plan for a racing car cake please?

(18 Posts)

Because you are all much wiser than me!

Plan is a big square chocolate cake, covered in green icing for grass (solid icing or buttercream?). Then to out Tarmac down using the roll out icing in black, pipe markings on it and buy little jelly racing cars.

Does this sound like it will work or am I making some huge error? Or do you have better ideas because I would LOVE to hear them.

Thank you.

Martorana Thu 08-May-14 11:47:37

Sounds fine- but why not have a go at modelling little racing cars out of icing? You can buy a packet of 5 different colours (including black for tyres) from any supermarket, and I absolutely promise it's much, much easier than you think. And fun. and addictive

If you google racing car cake images you'll find loads of inspiration.

Oh thank you. I might try it. DS has specifically asked for a racetrack so it needs to have that basis (I was quite glad!).

Will check out the icing aisle in the supermarket

Martorana Thu 08-May-14 11:56:36

Could you make the track in the shape of his age? That might be fun.

Don't forget a chequered flag,

<stops self getting carried away>

meerschweinchen Thu 08-May-14 12:00:17

Sounds great.You could write his name on the chequered flag too. Or make 'advertising board things' for the edge of the track and put a birthday message on that?

Oh those are great ideas! Thanks!

Ok, next question. Is it ready to roll sugarpaste icing I want to buy? Or something else for the grass/Tarmac?

LizzieMint Thu 08-May-14 20:24:12

You can use roll out icing (fondant, sugarpaste, ready to roll icing are all the same thing) coloured green, or you could use buttercream coloured - if you want to go the whole hog give yourself hand cramps you could pipe buttercream through a grass nozzle. Personally when I do grass I use green sugarpaste and do a border round of jagged cut sugarpaste in a slightly different green to look like grass - I'll see if I can find a pic.

LizzieMint Thu 08-May-14 20:28:05

Ha, I found this pic and realised I did 3 different grass effects on the one cake, so might give you an idea what each looks like!

Oh that looks great LizzieMint I need to keep it simple so the grass effect you've done there I could probably make an attempt at (in simple form). And thank you for the icing advice, I had no idea what to get!

Martorana Thu 08-May-14 21:58:39

I use coconut for grass- but you have to be sure everyone likes it.....

MaureenMLove Thu 08-May-14 22:01:15

You can push green roll out icing through a garlic press for grass as well. It's a great effect.

Oh love the garlic press idea! Must wash it thoroughly first. That would be worse than coconut. Do you need to dye the coconut if you use it?

mawbroon Thu 08-May-14 22:07:46

Get Asda to print a photo of a racing car on their plain cake. wink

<still feeling the pain of trying to make a bus cake 5 years ago>

Did it not go to plan mawbroon. That's a long time to have cake pain.

mawbroon Thu 08-May-14 22:45:51

It turned out ok, as in it was recognisable as a bus.

But I had to stay up very late into the night and there was a lot of swearing shock

MaureenMLove Thu 08-May-14 22:50:51

Yes if you use coconut, just pop it in a bowl and add a very small amount of liquid colour. Small amount is key! You can add more if necessary, but you can't take it away! grin

It's rather satisfiying pushing it through the garlic press! Takes me right back to playing with the hairdresser head and Playdoh! grin

andsmile Thu 08-May-14 23:01:42

oh i ave pirate cake pain oh arrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now