Pirate birthday cake

(8 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Mon 05-May-14 09:29:36

I need some help. I don't think I can afford to have one made professionally but DD is set on having a pirate birthday cake for her party.

Does anyone have an easy tutorial/recipe please?

laineylou Mon 05-May-14 09:34:41

My friend made an excellent one for her ds pirate party shaped like a treasure chest which was simple but effective. Or did you want the Black Pearl...in which case I have no idea.

ClubName Mon 05-May-14 09:36:58

Make a skull and crossbones one? Buy some of that roll out icing in black and cover a square cake (ebay for any colour you can think of)

Print a template from the internet, cut it out in white icing and stick it on.

Safmellow Mon 05-May-14 18:47:46

I read on here a while ago that someone made a round chocolate cake, cut it in half across the middle (top to bottom) to make two half-circles, then 'glued' them round side down to a cake board with icing. That made a rough boat shape.

They then decorated it with chocolate fingers on the side, maltesers as cannon balls, a white chocolate bar as a gangplank etc. I guess you could make a sail with skull and cross-bones and attach it to a skewer or breadstick?

SaltyandSweet Tue 06-May-14 11:56:46

What about this www.howdini.com/video/7074053/how-to-make-a-pirate-cake ? It's sponsored by Betty Crocker so they use the tinned frostings but I have followed one of their tutorials (the dinosaur one on that website) and just made my own buttercream

LizzieMint Tue 13-May-14 07:12:35

What about a dome shaped cake (baked in a bowl) as an island, with blue buttercream around for the sea, yellow icing on the cake. And make a palm tree, treasure chest and treasure map from more icing?

Anja1Cam Tue 13-May-14 07:27:09

I Made the one safmellow describes several times, always worked well. Google 'pirate ship' and you should find some pics. Playmobil pirates were just the right size to man she ship to, and I used bamboo skewers and rice paper to make edible sails. Use mini chocolate rolls halves sideways for cannons.

cheeseandcrackers Tue 13-May-14 07:41:56

A treasure chest is fairly easy to do, just search on pinterest and find one with the level of detail / difficulty that you are happy with. If you want something really easy, just bake a rectangular chocolate cake, cut it in two & stack it so it is deep enough, cover in chocolate fondant/buttercream, stack with pirate coins and make a lid from cardboard covered in fondant.

If you're really set on pirate ships, again head to Pinterest, loss of ideas and tutorials. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now