Cake pops - your tips

(22 Posts)
HermioneWeasley Sat 03-May-14 16:38:39

I've never made them before and wondered what your tips are? I think I have to crumble up the cake and mix it with icing to make it a sticky ball? I don't have a cake pop maker so was going to do them by hand.

Am I delusional?

CalamitouslyWrong Sat 03-May-14 16:51:34

Use that weird candy melts stuff not actual chocolate to coat them. Chocolate runs everywhere and doesn't harden up quickly enough.

Quejica Sat 03-May-14 17:18:37

I wouldn't crumble the cake, I'd buy these cake pop tins

HermioneWeasley Sat 03-May-14 19:25:49

Quejica- do you bake them with the sticks in if you use those?

YellowStripe Sat 03-May-14 19:31:11

I got cake pop moulds from dunelm but can't get the mixture to rise enough! The end result is a dozen little breast-like mounds .....

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 03-May-14 19:38:36

I find baking them in moulds really dry and making them with crumbled cake and icing far better.
Crumble cake -food processor if you have one
Add icing and mix, put in the fridge for a bit
Make balls put back in fridge while you melt small amount of chocolate to dip the sticks in
Dip sticks add to balls put in fridge
Melt candy melts, coat balls in chocolate leave to harden stuck thru a colander or some foam or something
I've made loads for parties and my friends weddings,
This is the best way I've found they work, I'm sure others will have more tips.
I have bought a cake pop baller thing that makes them all the same size

pookamoo Sat 03-May-14 19:41:29

I am with yellow, the whole point of cake pops is that they are made from the crumbled cake and the buttercream icing. Otherwise they are just small round dry cakes on sticks...

HermioneWeasley Sat 03-May-14 20:39:02

Thanks for all the advice

What's this candy melt stuff??

CalamitouslyWrong Sat 03-May-14 20:52:09

candy melts are a substance for covering cake pops. They come in chocolate and white chocolate flavours and various colours.

Actual chocolate is much harder to work with and you'll end up making a huge mess.

You can use an upturned colander to keep the cake pops upright while the coating sets.

5madthings Sat 03-May-14 20:55:10

I have a cake pop making machine, it's from
Next and it's ffabulous!

I cover in melted choc, the trick is to put the cale pops in the freezer for a bit before you cover them in chocolate.

So ffreeze for an hour ish, then make the hole for the stick, dip stick chocolate and put in hole ans then dip in the melted chocolate and then tap on the side of the bowl of melted choc to get rid of drips and make sure it dries smoothly.

5madthings Sat 03-May-14 20:57:55

Here are some easter ones, some I made for sschool fair and captain america ones I made for ds4

5madthings Sat 03-May-14 20:59:45

Candy melts are not very nice imo, they don't taste very nice and the ingredients are scary.I colour white chocolate with wiltons food paste, you only need a tiny bit.

5madthings Sat 03-May-14 21:02:30

You can make them with cake and buttecream very easily, you can buy moulds cheaply but you don't need to.

My cake pops arent dry, I use a vanilla sponge recipe, they are lovely.

Look at bakerella she has a blog and had good recipes and decorating ideas and very simple ideas to do.

HermioneWeasley Sat 03-May-14 21:16:55

You lot are very talented - glad you won't be able to see or judge my deal efforts!

But I really appreciate all the hints and tips

pookamoo Sat 03-May-14 22:48:20

5mad is definitely right - cake and buttercream is the way to a non-dry cakepop!

I like the tip about using a colander to stand them up. I usually poke them into a piece of polystyrene, but a colander is a much better idea.

5madthings Sat 03-May-14 23:12:02

I have a cardboard cake pop holder, cost a couple of quid from Lakeland and is very good or I use polystyrene or an egg box is another good one for poking holes in to stick the cake pips in to dry.

Thru are great fun to make and kids love them, I really don't find the melted chocolate hard to cover them ad long ad your cake pops are properly cold so it sets quickly. I got my cake pop maKer for my bday in January so haven't been making them long, they are very easy and lots of blogs with tips or look on pintrest.

My sheep were made by making fa've and feet out of black roll out icing and then covered cake pips in chocolate, stuck on face and feet and then mini marshmallows chopped in half! I used a heart shape cake sprinkle from Sainsbury for the nose and made the eyes of of white royal icing.

I have sone pens that write/colour on icing and melted chocolate. They are American I got them online, Amazon sell them and they are fab, americolor? I think they are. Great for adding detail etc.

Bees are easy to make, yellow food paste in your white choc and a black icing pen or roll out icing for the stripes and big white chocolate buttons for the wings.

The frogs were very easy as well.

I have totally got the baking bug and bought some fab icing cutters from wilkinsons and have a selection of awesome sprinkles. Today I have been making Oscar the grouch cake, hemisphere cake tins for the head, a graas nossle to ice with so it looks like fur!

Have a play around, it's great fun.

TitusFlavius Wed 14-May-14 20:42:08

I have just this second made cake pops for the very first time! I got one of those cheapo cake pop makers from Robert Dyas, and to my amazement it works.

I do agree with whoever upthread said the ones you make with cake crumb and jam are superior, but these are pretty good, too - a nicve vanilla sponge. They are much smaller and lighter than the crumb/jam ones, so I think these would be particularly good for kids.

TitusFlavius Wed 14-May-14 20:44:27

My god, 5madthings, those Captain America ones are amazing!

PiggyPlumPie Wed 14-May-14 21:25:40

I can't get the sticks to stay in sad

TitusFlavius Thu 15-May-14 09:15:59

My DS are some of the cake pops I made last night (in the cake pop maker) and pronounced them "delicious, but basically spherical madeleines", and I realised he's right!

Mind you, we both bloody love madeleines, so that's OK, and TBH the reason I wanted cake pops was so we could have fun decorating them.

PiggyPlumPie, I haven't tried it with sticks yet, but could you elaborate? Are you dipping them in icing before you shove them in? That's what I was planning to try.

PiggyPlumPie Sat 17-May-14 21:02:14

Have tried dipping in chocolate and icing (separately!) and chilling before decorating but the damn things still fall off!!

WillWorkForMoney Wed 04-Jun-14 11:34:00

Hello! I'm planning on making these for dds classmates for her b/day. The problem is I've never tried them yet lol. So a few questions if you please?

1) Is it just normal victoria sponge mixture?
2) How much will I need for about 30 cake pops?
3) I bought the moulds from dunelm, is it worth just doing it by hand?
4) How much butter icing do i add?

Very grateful for any answers, going to have a trial run this afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now