Cupcake icing nozzle for BIG swirls - Any recommendations please??

(31 Posts)
RustyParker Sat 03-May-14 15:28:25

Hi there,

I've bought a few icing sets but none seem to have a nozzle I can use to make the big swirls you see in shops etc. I've attached a photo of the kind of swirl I'm after. Any recommendations on what to buy and where from would be gratefully received!

p.s. Would disposable plastic piping bags be better than the nylon-y ones?

Thank you...

LizzieMint Sat 03-May-14 16:30:31

For the big flouncy swirls, you need anything with a large closed star end, the most common ones used are wilton 1b or 2d.

The one in the picture looks like it has more points than those though, and possibly is an open star tip - have a look at these Open stars

IME, the sets never have tips anywhere near big enough, better off buying individual ones so that you get a really good one.

RustyParker Sat 03-May-14 20:08:57

That link has a great guide, thank you Lizzie

Think I've seen the wilton 1b on Amazon so I'll give that a bash.

Thanks for the tips!

nannycook Sun 04-May-14 07:45:16

Rusty, I bought a set if large nozzles in Lakeland years ago and theres one in there which will give you That large swirl.

MikeLitoris Sun 04-May-14 07:51:48

Yes the lakeland ones are good. Think they were £12 or so.

I've got ones that I bought on amazon that are massive. They are labeled as being for mashed potatoes.

Atbeckandcall Sun 04-May-14 07:59:09

John Lewis do a roll of giant blue disposable icing bags (25 on a roll I think) for a little over £5. They are like the professional ones I've seen on tv. Otherwise in the supermarkets you can get 10 small ones for £3ish. And they're a bit rubbish.

Atbeckandcall Sun 04-May-14 08:01:51

Or a Wilton 1M would do that too.

ZingWatermelon Sun 04-May-14 08:15:01

look on Ebay

RustyParker Sun 04-May-14 16:11:28

Ooo, brilliant advice - thank you!

That's my afternoon planned then smile

RustyParker Sun 04-May-14 16:16:28

Mike and Nanny is this the Lakeland set?? Piping nozzles 12.99

crazykat Sun 04-May-14 16:25:02

The best icing bags I've had are big 20" disposable ones from amazon, about £2.50 for 20 bags. They're much easier than smaller ones for cupcakes or icing a cake, smaller bags are good for writing/detail IMO.

I got a big star nozzle from the local cake shop for about £3 and it makes the big swirls like in bought cupcakes.

ZingWatermelon Sun 04-May-14 16:27:09

I got cheap ones from Hong Kong off Ebay

100 bags for £1.99, free post.
I ordered 300, they took 2 weeks to arrive and are bloody brilliant

RustyParker Sun 04-May-14 16:31:02

Now might be a good time to get up an Ebay account! Thanks Zing

Good tip to use bigger bags for cupcake icing! Crazykat

MikeLitoris Sun 04-May-14 17:01:33

Yes that's the lakeland one. I use it more than the wilton ones

5madthings Sun 04-May-14 17:03:49

Place marking, I use the disposable bags, got some from looses cook shop, we have a store near us but they sell online as well.

I love the Wilson grass nossle at the moment and am building up my collection, I have a set from Lakeland but have been buying others individually.

RustyParker Sun 04-May-14 17:20:59

Thanks Mike The Lakeland set seem to be the popular choice so far.. There's free delivery over £30 at the moment too.

Just had a quick look at Looses cookshop madthings Thanks for that. Seem to have a lot of stuff on there but it's not the easiest website to nagivate is it?! I am coveting a grass nozzle! Any tips on using it??

5madthings Sun 04-May-14 17:24:56

Not a very easy website to navigate no, the shop is amazing though! I can spend far too much time and money there!

Grass nossle very easy to use I made an Easter cake and cake pops and am about to use it to ice an Oscar the grouch cake, it's great for fur etc as well as grass!

5madthings Sun 04-May-14 17:27:45

I have the 'tala' set from Lakeland, it comes in a lovely Cath Kidston essays tin!

nannycook Sun 04-May-14 22:10:36

Yep rusty, thats the ones use one or two out of them all the Time.

5madthings Sun 04-May-14 22:20:13

I used a big and small nossle to do Oscar the grouch, I just put pics on the cake pic thread, I am really pleased with it, dp had better like it!

5madthings Sun 04-May-14 22:20:33

Big and small grass nossle.

ZingWatermelon Sun 04-May-14 22:25:05

oh I should have said I bought disposable ones.
at 2p/bag that's pretty good

RustyParker Mon 05-May-14 12:42:51

Wow 5madthings I am going to hide my lowly offerings from the thread after seeing your handiwork! envy grin

Thanks everyone! Got my shopping list ready and can't wait!! cake

5madthings Mon 05-May-14 12:53:25

No don't, seriously it's great to see everyone's creations! Mine are no where near as good as many on the thread, some are like proper professional stuff!

I just do it for fun with the kids, I don't have the patience to get it 'perfect' and I always end up rushing. It's a learning curve and it's only going to get eaten anyway, plus kids like anything.. We'll apart from the Lego ninjas cake I did for ds4 who looked at it and howled as it wad the wrong coloured ninja., blue when he had wanted green apparently!

RustyParker Mon 05-May-14 13:06:05

I am seriously just starting out but I have big plans! Maybe once I've got a bit of confidence I might post some of my creations??

Oh no shock I would have broke down in tears at ninja-gate! DS would have been wearing it <joke> I think..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now