Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help please, expert bakers. Made a mistake, should I start again?

(12 Posts)
Blueberrybaby Thu 01-May-14 16:41:09

Baking Nigella's buttermilk birthday cake from 'how to be a domestic goddess'. Got to the bit where it says 'cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy' and then you are supposed to add the eggs one at a time in intervals. Not sure what my brain read, but instead of sugar I have put the eggs in, all at the same time, so I'm creaming butter and eggs together. This has given me a very scrambled egg type mixture. I've added the sugar and I'm trying to beat the hell out of it so the butter lumps disappear, it doesn't appear to be working. Do I bin it and start again or carry on!

BellaVita Thu 01-May-14 16:41:57

Bin it.

Blueberrybaby Thu 01-May-14 16:43:12

Thanks Bellavita, that's what I thought. Grrrr. Another trip to the shops as not enough butter left. Gah! What was I thinking?! Everyone knows you cream butter and sugar together!

SueDNim Thu 01-May-14 16:45:12

I'd chuck all of the ingredients in and beat it as if it was an all in one mixture. All of the expensive ingredients are in, so it's really just a bit of flour and time you'll be wasting if it doesn't work.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 01-May-14 16:56:41

I'd beat it for a bit with eggs sugar and butter, then add a couple of spoons of flour (from your recipe amount - ie not extra) and mix gently to see if that un-curdles it.

Blueberrybaby Thu 01-May-14 17:09:00

I'll try that Zebra before abandoning ship. Thanks.

aftereight Thu 01-May-14 17:11:48

I can't help, but it may make you feel better to know that I have a tray of muffins in the oven and have just realised that I haven't used the 2 eggs I should have in the mix!
Total waste of ingredients I'll still eat them

Rosa Thu 01-May-14 17:13:01

Highest speed with flour and beat like mad !

TheSpottedZebra Thu 01-May-14 17:28:16

Blueberry - a curdled cake mixture will still taste ok, it'll jsut be heavier. So I'd probably still use it anyway. depending on how many layers you've made, I'd possibly just slice it into more layers and sandwich with jam or something, in case it gets too dry.

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 01-May-14 17:40:30

Put everything into a processor or your bowl and just keep mixing.

Blueberrybaby Thu 01-May-14 18:05:13

They are in the oven! Fingers crossed.
I'm attempting a two tier fondant cake. So I have a bottom tier which is a 23cm tin which I am planning to slice in two and sandwich with filling or some sort. The top tier is two smaller pans - about 15cm each I think, which I will also slice in two and stack together, so that will be a 4 layer cake on the top tier.

I've got plenty of time if it goes wrong. It's for next week, so I'm freezing them after they have cooled and then will tackle the fondant next week.

Blueberrybaby Thu 01-May-14 18:05:32

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now