Gluten free burnt bottom in electric aga

(4 Posts)
Flopsygrowsup Sat 26-Apr-14 09:24:12

We have just moved into a rented house with an electric aga. Last weekend I made a gluten free cake with a new recipe. Ground almonds and mash potato. Preheated oven, lined tin checked 5 mins before due 45 mins at 180. It took much longer stopped at 1hr 5 as the bottom was burnt. Took burn base off and cake was lovely but still fractionally undercooked - I assume the aga was too hot so will try again at 170 but wondered if I just wasn't using the aga properly

tb Sat 26-Apr-14 10:59:06

How many ovens do you have?

What setting do you have it on? I've got a 4-oven electric, and it's up to temperature when the setting is about no 6 on the dial.

If you have a temperature gauge, it sounds more like a Rayburn - about which I know absolutely nothing - except they're cheaper than Agas.

Often the best way is to put your cake tin on a grid shelf, rather than on the floor of an oven. You could try putting your tin on a baking tray - that might give a bit more insulation underneath the base of the tin.

Flopsygrowsup Sat 26-Apr-14 18:02:19

Hi

It's an aga has 4 oven (grill, simmer, fan, normal) and has a temperature gauge.

I put it on the rack shelf rather than the floor,

Thanks

tb Mon 28-Apr-14 14:02:08

My electric Aga has 4 ovens - roasting, baking, simmering and warming, and no temperature gauge. I just have a thermometer on the front right-hand side, and a plate over it. Red and black ends, and a vertical line in the middle - I adjust the knob to have the mercury line from the thermometer on the vertical line. When that's done, all the ovens are at the right temperature.

Just had a look at the Aga site - sounds like an S-series to me, rather than a conventional Aga.

If you have a cold plain shelf, one way might be to put in at a temperature for a while, putting it on the cold plain shelf, then, after say 15-20 mins transferring the tin - still on the solid shelf to the top of the simmering oven for the remainder of the cooking time.

You could always email Aga, there is a very helpful lady there who can help with cake problems.

Sorry, can't remember her name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now