Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

DD's birthday cake. I have some questions...

(5 Posts)
Poppanicolino Thu 03-Apr-14 07:07:15

I've found a 35cm x 24cm tin to use and am planning on making a three layered cake with different colours on each layer.

Please forgive me if any of these questions are dim blush

1. to colour each layer of sponge, do I just use however much food colouring looks right? Does the colour change at all on baking?

2. is jam the best thing to use to glue the layers together?

3. can I make the layers in advance and freeze them? I'm thinking it would be easier to ice (using butter icing) if it's frozen. If I do that how long would it need to defrost?

Thank you. I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I go on!

Vajazzler Thu 03-Apr-14 07:11:01

1) yes you can but it's best to use gel colour as it won't affect the consistency of the mixture.
2) yes! Raspberry jam is nice but you could use a different flavour like black currant or apricot. If you're doing 3 layers then you could do jam one layer and buttercream the other.
3) you can freeze them but make sure you wrap them well.

Vajazzler Thu 03-Apr-14 07:11:38

Oh I'd get it out of the freezer the night before you want to decorate.

Tinkerball Thu 03-Apr-14 08:22:00

I agree with vaj, dont use the supermarket food colouring liquids as this will not give you a good colour result plus you would have to use copious amounts of them and then mix would be very watery. I use these food colouring pastes. Ive also used extra concentrated black and red.

I usually use buttercream and jam together.

And yes I freeze my sponges all the time, probably over cautious but I wrap them in baking paper, then cling film and then foil!!

Poppanicolino Thu 03-Apr-14 10:32:16

Thank you both smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now