Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Best cup cake icing?

(12 Posts)
Jellypudmum Tue 01-Apr-14 18:37:23

I usually do buttercream with vanilla or other flavouring but it seems a bit heavy to me.
Any ideas for better icing?
Cream cheese? Best ratios for buttercream? Help!

Tinkerball Tue 01-Apr-14 19:04:57

I always use 175g unsalted butter, 300g icing sugar and a teaspoon vanilla paste making buttercream, never let me down!

Seminyak Tue 01-Apr-14 19:15:18

Just beat it for like 15 mins and it will be so light and fluffy smile

Jellypudmum Tue 01-Apr-14 19:46:02

Maybe it's the beating thing; never done 15 mins.blush

Parliamo Tue 01-Apr-14 19:50:13

Whipped cream. I hate butter icing. Or marscapone.

Bunbaker Tue 01-Apr-14 19:53:55

I don't like cream. It doesn't keep well and it gives me the runs.

sugarandspite Tue 01-Apr-14 19:58:55

Mary Berry puts lemon juice in her buttercream on the kids bunny cake - it makes it soooo much nicer!

Friginilla Tue 01-Apr-14 20:01:50

Swiss meringue buttercream?
And yes if you beat regular buttercream for a while it's becomes really light and delicate.

mablemurple Tue 01-Apr-14 20:13:36

I use a cream cheese based icing: 200g cream cheese, 100g butter, 600g icing sugar. I usually halve the recipe as it makes quite a lot. Add flavourings as desired.

TreacleMoon123 Wed 09-Apr-14 23:22:07

Italian meringue buttercream!! It's gorgeous!

LavenderGreen14 Wed 09-Apr-14 23:25:39

I do eton mess filling - layer of strawberry jam, then fill with whipped cream, broken meringe and sliced strawberries. Looks great with 3 layers then top with cream and choc dipped strawberries and then choc fingers all round outside. My daughter has variations of this every birthday.

LavenderGreen14 Wed 09-Apr-14 23:26:20

and I didn't read that properly at all as you are talking about cupcakes and I am talking about one big cake - sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now